Hardly Davidson (Thruster) 1st build.

GoldenMotor.com

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Some people call it a McDonalds bike I see. My wife made the tank stickers.

We built this bike to go riding with a friend I work with. His GT is called Chop Stix.

Here is when we got started. Before this forum. Cost of bike 106 cheese burgers.

The first thing I did was put some ape hangers on it. (brake cables now)

We recived the 49cc in like three days. With 29" tires may change later.
The install so far going sweet. Rides ruff dang hard tail, hard seat, hard tires.

The stock 18 tooth bike sprocket would not work to well! The kit had 41 tooth.

That is where we mounted the kit sprocket, not in the spokes. More pics of the build soon.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Lookin' forward to seein' some more pics of you build. "Hardley Davidson" is the same name I've been wantin' to put on a bike for a few years now. Can 'Hardley' wait to see more pics.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
A couple more of the 1st build. Looks like it will never stop.

After riding for a few days things started to change.

These came with one of the kits ordered, had to have.

Polished stock covers, 800grit 1200grit wet sanding then hand rub mothers.

Changed the stock bolts to ss alen style.

They came out pritty good, no chrome to peel off later.

I will be doing the whole block on the next build.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW!

that clutch sidecover polished up REAL nice!
You did a great job!!!

Fun looking bike!
I like it!

Yah, there's a lot of benefits to a large, sprung seat... and front suspension... and a fat cruiser bike tire... lol

Is that a fixie flip hub you have on the rear?
I gotta learn abt them...
and did the chinagirl sprocket bolt up to that?

tnx
rc

and good job!
You're gonna have a ton of fun with that motorized bicycle this summer!

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Thanks rc, Yes the sprocket mounted just fine.

Here is the other side. Duel rear tire raiser kick stand.

You see the stock exhaust had to go, made room for little louder pipe.

No problems with tire, pedal or frame clearance.

Next we added high compression chrome angle fire head and air filter.

This thing is starting to wake up now. Running very good.

Here we added duel brake handle, Naner seat and shocks from the wife, it rides a hole lot better. Sitting back there makes this bike wheelie if I give it to much gas.

I'm to old for wheelies!! Talk to ya later.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Ordered new tires black slicks, never did like the color of the ones on it

After a little while thought a spring adjuster would be nice.

When I wasted the stock plastic chain wheel, I went with this one.

Never lost a chain on this yet and dont want to!!

Havin to much fun my wife said.

Going to work on getting my #2 build pics up.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Very nice build, I can't wait to see how your bike progresses! I too recently bought a Thruster and there are so many possibilities, it seems like this bike was made for this type of thing!

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
You may be fine but careful with that tensioner. It is known to slide over into the spokes of your rear wheel if it isn't mounted with more than the given clamp style. You may be fine, just is good to know.

Maybe a video is in order? :D

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Very nice build, I can't wait to see how your bike progresses! I too recently bought a Thruster and there are so many possibilities, it seems like this bike was made for this type of thing!
It has been very dependable so far, we have over 750 miles and the rear tire has no tread left. Kepping cost down was a big concern on this. Just built it to go weekend cruzin, then as always got a little itch.
Around here weekend rides with others stay in the 20mph range. Now a little hard for me to go that speed, this bike likes 38mph cruzin speed.

Have fun with your Thruster build. I did not need all them cheese burgers anyway!! Looking for your bike soon.

usflg

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
You may be fine but careful with that tensioner. It is known to slide over into the spokes of your rear wheel if it isn't mounted with more than the given clamp style. You may be fine, just is good to know.

Maybe a video is in order? :D
Tuching the spokes when installing. Thank you for that, good call. If I leave it there I will drill a set bolt and nut through the whole sha bang and frame.

I did put up a video the other day, not alot of response think we need to cut the ride time down a bit. You can here in the start the bike having a hard time going any less than 20mph. Now I have a a few rims set up when other bikes come out, here is the one I used last weekend.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Great looking build HWY.
Thanks Dan, looks means allot to the me. It's nice when we have a few bike together and they swarm your bike oooooo ahhhhhh cool man is what I get.

Just cause some of the pieces of art I have seen here are not in the parking lot with us.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Recived the new slicks today and I have to say they were spot on.

The 50lb to 85lb riding pressure is nice, stock ones were a 60lb flat and bald.

They ride, corner and handle bumps allot better at the same tire pressure.

I think these change the whole look of the bike for the better, what do you think?

I got around 700 miles on stock rear one before needing replacement, front was fine.

With the new tire being the same color and size, I could rotate these now if they don't last any longer than that

Time for a little more weight mounted to the front end!!! Hmmmmm

Last edited:

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
I put a new carb and intake on the bike. Once I fixed the intake for fitmet on carb, it fit my HDT just fine.

I hope to get it running good soon. Not working as well as I thought it would.

I might have to put the HT back on. Just trying new things.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Did it, dont do it on the HDT build.

Yes you can remove the nut and mount the sprocket directly to other sprocket with or without bolts. 18 tooth means 9 hole mounting!
This was done with 1/8" offset to spokes. If and when you would remove the original sprocket just flip the 1/8" offset to frame.

If you you do this it will fail! The nut turns to the left for sprocket removal, chain pulls to the left not good. This is a good way to remove original sprocket rather than beating the hub for removal. Just pop the clutch one time for removal. If you do mount it with the jam nut only it should be drilled or welded to the hub some how. I went with spoke mounting till, I go hub mount.
JMO

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
So the left hand threaded jamnut failed? I'm planning on motorizing my thruster and thought the hub and lockring with some loctite would work as long as there's bolts through the existing fixed sprocket.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
So the left hand threaded jamnut failed? I'm planning on motorizing my thruster and thought the hub and lockring with some loctite would work as long as there's bolts through the existing fixed sprocket.
No loctite will not work for long at least not for me. I'm not easy on the bike.

As long as I took it easy that was working, lasted around two hours.

Have fun on your build. Over 1000 miles with no problems on my HDT so far barrings, frame, brakes ect, all been good.

usflg

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
After braking my third or forth Old School Speedo? Not made to be pegged out!

Here is a couple pics of the new Cat Eye speedo!! Very easy to install.

This reader is the right side reading magnet mounted to pedal.

The other magnet mounted to spokes like so. With fingers, (no tools).

Rotating to the other frame mounted reader, both zip tied, (no tools).

Not very much space, 3mm is what it calls for. With a bent rim may be problem. I don't have that!!

This did not take but maybe 1/2 hour to install, wish I would have mounted this along time ago. So far 70km/h with some throttle left!! Now converted to mph I can go the speed limit without head converting while riding. Sweeeeet.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Where did you find those seat shocks? I think something like that would work great with a moped seat and suspension seatpost on my OCC.