Impossible to start

GoldenMotor.com

Jasanabia

Aug 7, 2011
Goleta California
Just finished installing a sbp shifter kit. I go to start it, put it in first gear, pedal, let out the clutch and the engine won't turn over. only by stomping on the pedals can I get it to turn over, and I definitely cannot keep pedaling under the compression of the engine. I actually have stated it using starter fluid spray, and it's much easier when the engines warm. I don't think it should be this difficult, do I need a new cassette that allows for more torque?
Also I cannot go from a stop in first and turning over the engine is easy without the spark plug (like it should be).

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A jackshaft/shiftkit has a freewheel - which means you'll not be able to skid/pop start it any longer, you'll hafta pedal start it. If it didn't have this one way freewheel, you'd be forced to pedal as fast as the engine's going as the engine & you share the same drive chain now ;)

The technique I use to start mine is I pedal up to speed with the clutch lever pulled in (so ya don't hafta get the bike moving frm a stop and try to turn the engine over at the same time) & when one of the pedals is at the 1 o'clock (lil past the top) I let the clutch lever out as push down on the pedal's power stroke - sorta like a kick starter.

It's something that with a lil practice becomes quite easy :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
2 Stroke Shift Kit Manual;

Sick Bike Parts said:
Starting your engine
The first thing you will notice when trying to start your engine is that it is different than it was before. You can no longer just get the bike moving and release the clutch. You now have to pedal to start the engine. This will seem strange at first but it won’t take you long before you figure out a good technique for starting your engine. Here is our suggested method. Pedal your bike with the clutch in to get it moving at a decent pace in 1st gear, prop the crank for your preferred leg up at about 45 degrees, release the clutch, get out of the saddle and put your weight on the pedal of that crank, as the engine starts to turn keep pedaling through. Once the engine starts to turn over it is pretty easy to continue pedaling. Do not jump on your pedals to start your engine. This puts excessive force on the freewheel and may cause it to fail.
;)

Jasanabia

Aug 7, 2011
Goleta California
I've been trying to do the same thing your doing, but the engine won't take off with just one "kick start". In the directions it seems to be saying I should keep pedaling with te engine engaged until it takes off, which is what I used to do. It's just to difficult now.
Sick bike parts has a shimano megadrive freewheel, that will give more torque. although the cassette I have looks like any regular 7 speed, I can't take off from a start, so maybe the gearing is too high making it difficult to start.