Help with DAX RT Carb.

GoldenMotor.com

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Just got the new DAX RT carb and need to install the throttle cable in the carb. No directions to go by. I don't know what's fragile in there. Any advice greatly appreciated?

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I will do my best........on top of the carb there is a plastic plate with the curved tube coming out of it. Unscrew that-the throttle cable goes thru the curved tube.

Inside of the carb, there is a plate that slides up and down....pull that out (you might need a pair of needlenose pliers. On that plate, you will see a notch that the end of the throttle cable fits into.

After you have fitted the end of the throttle cable into that notch, put it back into the carb and put the cover back onto the top of the carb.

It's a little fiddly trying to fit the plate back on as you have to make sure the cable isn't intertwined with the spring. Test it by twisting the throttle, you should be able to look into the mouth of the carb and see the plate move until it almost disappears.

If it doesn't move the whole way up so you can barely see it- use your adjustment knurled knob at the end of the curved tube to take out any slack.

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, I was able to do it I just wasn't sure I had done it correctly. I didn't know that the choke releases when you give it throttle either. I discovered that the choke would release if I gently nudged the lever lateral to its regular movement. The lead knob on the end of the throttle cable also had to be slightly ground shorter to fit the slot on the slide. I used an old knife sharpening stone since I had no sandpaper. Putting it all on today.

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
ok, I've gotten the DAX RT carb installed and took it on a test run of a little over a mile. I'm running a Grubee GT5 66/80cc angle fire using opti2 oil mixed at 100:1. For about the last 400 miles I've been running a CNS v2 carb with the tube disconnected between the bowl and air filter. All else is as it was shipped to me. Performance has not been bad with the CNS. Idled great, decent acceleration, seemed to 4 stroke quite a bit getting close to WOT. Hated the choke lever on the handlebars.

DAX RT Carb: Has high idle when the motor is cranked. Turned idle screw as far out as it would go. Still idles high. Ran it to see performance. When stopping at lights, the motor initially idles great. Gradually the idle builds. Revving the throttle does not make it idle down. By the time the light changes the motor is revving enough that i'm concerned. This process repeats at every stop of more than a few moments. The motor isn't putting out as much power as it did with the CNS. Hills I struggled over with the CNS the RT can't seem to get me over. Acceleration is slightly weaker than the CNS. Not much, but noticeable. Didn't have enough level ground to get it much past 3/4 throttle. Seemed nice. Not as much 4 stroking as the CNS. Will get to try WOT tomorrow. What I liked about the DAX RT better is that the throttle cable slides extremely smooth. Not having to deal with the CNS choke cable and handle bar lever makes for a much better look to me. Hopefully I'll like WOT tomorrow. Throttle response is better on the DAX. I like having the option of trading out the jets that came with it. It comes with a #70, #75, and a #80. The #75 is pre-installed. I'm going to switch to the #70 after trying this for a while. I'll save judgement on the DAX RT until I've run it a while and/or tried a different jet.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
does anyone know what the sizes are for the dax jets. I know with mechanical drill bits, the bigger hole was the smaller number, but it seems with these the 80 looks bigger than the 70.

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
i have a clone of the dax carb, its this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281153284936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
and at fulll throttle it sounds like my mower, i think its 4 stroking, any way my spark plug colour is white, i running lean, so i need to richen up the mixture, would that make is stop 4 stroking? and if i wanted to make the mixture richer, which jet do i have to change to? and would dax jets fit in it? thanks

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
ok, I've gotten the DAX RT carb installed and took it on a test run of a little over a mile. I'm running a Grubee GT5 66/80cc angle fire using opti2 oil mixed at 100:1. For about the last 400 miles I've been running a CNS v2 carb with the tube disconnected between the bowl and air filter. All else is as it was shipped to me. Performance has not been bad with the CNS. Idled great, decent acceleration, seemed to 4 stroke quite a bit getting close to WOT. Hated the choke lever on the handlebars.

DAX RT Carb: Has high idle when the motor is cranked. Turned idle screw as far out as it would go. Still idles high. Ran it to see performance. When stopping at lights, the motor initially idles great. Gradually the idle builds. Revving the throttle does not make it idle down. By the time the light changes the motor is revving enough that i'm concerned. This process repeats at every stop of more than a few moments. The motor isn't putting out as much power as it did with the CNS. Hills I struggled over with the CNS the RT can't seem to get me over. Acceleration is slightly weaker than the CNS. Not much, but noticeable. Didn't have enough level ground to get it much past 3/4 throttle. Seemed nice. Not as much 4 stroking as the CNS. Will get to try WOT tomorrow. What I liked about the DAX RT better is that the throttle cable slides extremely smooth. Not having to deal with the CNS choke cable and handle bar lever makes for a much better look to me. Hopefully I'll like WOT tomorrow. Throttle response is better on the DAX. I like having the option of trading out the jets that came with it. It comes with a #70, #75, and a #80. The #75 is pre-installed. I'm going to switch to the #70 after trying this for a while. I'll save judgement on the DAX RT until I've run it a while and/or tried a different jet.
At the base where it goes on to the intake make sure your gasket is on all the way also make sure that your carb is on all the way. it sounds like you may have a air leak and from my experience that is the easiest place to get it. Also check that your cable is adjusted right and not what is holding the throttle at high idle.

stonyman

Feb 3, 2014
deland,fl
Just installed my rt carb and it works great...but how do i know which of the five jets to use?...I have the one that was already installed in the carb..no complaints!..But there are five more and i am wondering if i can get more out of a different jet?.trk.trk.trk

stonyman

Feb 3, 2014
deland,fl
Just installed my rt carb and it works great...but how do i know which of the five jets to use?...I have the one that was already installed in the carb..no complaints!..But there are five more and i am wondering if i can get more out of a different jet?.trk.trk.trk
any ideas on better throttle response?