Few questions

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, I am new to building these motor bike kits, but I am currently in the process of building one. I have a 66/80 CC kit. It has a 2 liter gas tank.
So first of all, what is a good oil I should use?
I have a motorcycle shop near my house called Cycle Gear, and they sell 2 stroke oil.

Also when mixing gas which gas do I buy? 87? 89? 91? And I understand that 2 litter is just a little over a half gallon. For the break in, for a half gallon I am supposed to put in 4 quarts of oil for a 16:1 ratio. Will .5 gallons + 4 ounces fit in a 2 litter tank? I mean is it exactly 2 litter, or is there a little more room?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First of all welcome to the forum. You'll need to become an active member before posting links however.

Your math is off a bit with your mix calculations. We recommend to disregard the 16:1 mix that many kit instructions say to use. We like to start with a 24:1 mix for engine break in. That means 24 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. Do not mix in the bike's fuel tank. Your gas oil mix should be done in a seperate container and shaken well before putting it in the tank.
Here's a calculator for you to use> Gas Oil Mixture Ratio Calculator

After a couple of gallons move down to a 32:1 mix.
Good luck.

Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Get a small 1 gallon gas can. Put a gallon of gas in it. Then add 6 ounces of oil for 24:1 After you run that gallon of mix through the motor go to 4 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas for a 32:1 ratio. You really shouldn't mix in the tank. It's possible to not get it mixed very well and you could suck up a glot of oil. That would foul the plug and make it almost impossible to start. Mixing oil and fuel in the tank is something you do only if you must.

Compression ratio on these small motors is so low use the lowest octane gas. The regular brand. Higher octane is needed when you raise the compression by sanding down the head or getting an after market Hi-Compression head from treatland.tv. Raising compression is a fairly inexpensive way to boost power.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Oh ok, sorry about that. I was using a Gas/Oil mixture calculator that I found in another post. So for .5 gallons, it would need 2.6 ounces of oil. I am not sure why I said quarts in the first post, my mistake. This should all fit in a 2 litter tank with no problem though I think.

I will mix in a seperate container. What is a good type of 2 stroke oil to use that I can buy in a store? Walmart or Cycle Gear or autozone?