reliability

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You Betcha racing fan

There are many fella's on here that know way more about these things than I do, but i will always jump in and express my personal experiences in hopes of helping someone avoid any of the troubles I have encountered in my China Girl adventures up till now.........you may ask a question on here and I may learn from the answer you get from one of the pro's, if so and I see that it is a good resolution to a problem or just a good mod, I will later share that info. with others if the opportunity presents itself and I think it will help them out.

You just stay glued to this forum and ask questions question questions if in doubt on anything to do with your build and there will be answers just around the corner 9 times out of 10 or better.

Best wishes to ya and I'm sure we'll meet again in the build proccess to come....!

Peace

brnot

when i get the kit i will come here to get all the tips i think i may no some but i would like all them i can get
thanks guys
and Mapbike man you have been so much help
so have all you guys thanks a ton

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
OK so there some what reliable like 1/5 chance of a bad motor and just send it back in OK not bad
The engine itself wasn't bad. It was the first one I bought well before joining these two forums. I made the mistake and not having the proper tools (inch torque wrench), failed to check the head studs torque, so the gasket blew. The other was a magneto, worked for 3 days. After that I upgraded the other 4 engines with good hardware and added the clutch mods I make (Large Flipano idea). So I really wouldn't call it 1 out of 5. I bought a steering pump for my Dodge diesel, you'd think it would last 100+ miles. Original pump 37,000 miles, second pump went out at 67,000 miles. Cost to me was more then a lousy $150.00.

Amen.
The important varible is mechanical skill and common sense.
If you've never picked up a screwdriver or a wrench then the chances are you'll have poor reliability from your engine/kit. Those builders who have been involved with mechanical things for years are those you'll hear the succes stories from. The ones who can't tell a 9/16 wrench from a 3/8" are the ones who will have problems.
Just because they're bicycles doesn't mean that things are simple. You need a good grasp of things mechanical for a successful build. Just my opinion.
Tom
Now there's a mouthful...well spoken. My son was the one who couldn't tell a 9/16 wrench from a 3/8 concerning engines. But was a cracker jack on bicycles. Me on bicycles, well the last time I worked on a bicycle there were no multi speed cycles, or I hadn't seen one. I had NO idea how to tear the axle (remove the cluster gear) apart. My son told me what I needed and I bought them.

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Exactly right my friend :) Other thing, though some may yell at me for saying this, most will agree, use Opti-2 from the start! That oil, if you can get it, will make your engine last so much longer assuming you also maintain it properly :)
Peace
-LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
amsoil saber is a classic and great oil, and can also be mixed VERY lean
I would recommend, if you cannot get saber or opti, to get the very best synthetic for motorcycles that you can get :)
Hope that helps
-LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I WOULD NOT bother with that carb. So much bad news and so many problems. If you have an NT now, keep it and put it in a box, and see how you like this carb Page Title Look for the RT carb, it's only $30 and on this page. Side note, I don't think spooky is still in business. The NT is my favorite carb because it is simple, reliable and easy to tune. Many racers here would agree with me, but props to you for wanting to try something different.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
the rt carb is on the bottom and with a orange carb right?
is it performance or same carb size but is better made like it stays tuned better or are the jets and the the carb actually bigger

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
LS614 is right, here is a post I just made in another thread you started about the centrifical clutch on the china girls

I have one of the RT carbs on order from Thats Dax, I will be posting how it proforms once I get it and have it on the engine and tuned good, others here have said that it proforms very well after the jet is resized because like most all the carbs for these engine the main jet is almost always to big and causes them to run very rich.

Even the stock NT carbs are very reliable and can perform very well if tuned properly, it all depends on what other mods you're doing to your engine, if you are keeping the engine basically stock with maybe the addition of a better exhaust, better NGK plug, better plug wire and maybe a better air filter, IMO you can due just fine with the stock NT or you could go up one notch and get a Speed Carb. from Pirate Cycles or from BGF on ebay, I dont have a speed carb. but others have said it offers a slight power increase when tuned properly so that could also be an option to take things up a notch.

Just remember that any carb you get will have to be tuned to the engine and the fuel mix you are running, if you are running Opti 2 @ 100:1 and have the carb tuned perfect for that mix and then decide to mix up some mix at 32:1 with conventional oil you could cook that engine because it will likely be way to lean from what I understand, so I would personally advise that you get the NT tuned real nice and run it for a while and see if it serves your needs because for most MB owners it is plenty good enough for their bikes and the speeds they are shooting for, I have the NT's on all my engines and I can get 35-39 MPH out of all my bikes with them and none of mine are heavily modified.

Hope this helps...and if I'm wrong on something here I trust that someone will step in and make correction, I can only speak from my experiences.

Peace

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
no, it's not orange, just do ctrl+f and then copy and paste this " Carburetor RT 15mm" into the box. Then you'll know what I'm talking about
I think it is the same bore as the NT but it has more options for adjustment so it can be tuned better :) high needle, low needle, and cable choke, but to be honest, I'd stay with the NT :D

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
oh, that's a layup, the sbp pipe :) get it get it get it! Totally worth it :) great out of the box, the "banana" pipe is not that good.