Caviness Motorbike Co. 2010

GoldenMotor.com

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok so this build started out as an AMF Cruiser and ended where it is now in the photo. It's still a little way from being complete. I still need to shorten the cables a bit and add a springer along with a set of nice wheels and tires. I'll be adding a Husky with S/A drum to the front and a Worksman to the rear with Manic adapter. Front springer will be a Sunlite model unless I can find a little more unique one from eBay or another site. The tires are going to be imported from Europe and are Continental load bearing Moped tires. Those are sourced I just need the money. So far the bike has been a blast to ride and show around. The adults I pass are not sure what to think of it and the kids love it!

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I like everything about your motorbike. It will look even cooler with the springer and drum brake.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks Wheelbender.

I ordered the moped tires from Germany today, the Euro conversion makes them a bit pricing along with shipping but I figure they will last quite a while and might handle a bit better while riding. As time/money permits I'll order some wheels to put the tires on. I rode a good bit this weekend, we finally had a break in the weather and the bike performed really well.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks vintage

I added the springer fork on this weekend and a new spark plug wire, both from PirateCycles. Shipping was prompt, I painted up the springer to match the bike and mounted. The hardest part was getting the bottom head set ring off the old fork.

Attachments

Last edited:

EliCash

Feb 21, 2011
USA
Looks badass! I see you have the Imperial Cycles tank on there? I saw it posted on their blog. What kind of seatpost is that? Did you fab it yourself?

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks everyone, the bike is running great!

Seat post is from Sportscarpat he makes great stuff and is great to work with and is very responsive on emails.

The tanks is from Imperial Cycles and Eric over there was great to work with. It came with the petcock, cap, and adapter and went on easily. It holds about 3/4 gallon.

Next up will be tires. I received my Continental Moped tires from Germany yesterday in the mail. I'll probably wait and mount them on some worksman or Husky wheels when i get the chance to purchase them. Also, speed carb is on the way from Zoombicycles (where I purchased the engine).

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Installed my NT Speed carb from Zoombicycles.com over the weekend and man o man the bike is a screamer now. Combined with the expansion pipe and heavy duty high flow intake from Pirate Cycles it really is quite a bit faster. I tried it with the original crazy red intake/air filter that came on it and it seemed to be a bit faster but bogged down a bit (not enough air). So then I installed the high flow filter and Wow! Next up some wheels and adapter that is once I get some more funding.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Installed a front light but I'm not totally pleased with the mounting yet. I hooked it up to the white wire and it drained too much from the CDI and killed the engine. I replaced the bulbs with small wattage ones from Radio Shack, there are two .25mA bulbs instead of the much brighter .45mA 2.7 watt bulbs the light came with. The light works once the bike is warmed up a bit and idle is high but the bulbs are not that bright. I think I'm going to invest in one of the wonderful creations coils on eBay and see how that works out as it is separate from the Magneto and should provide the full 3 Watts. In the mean time I'll just run one of the bulbs in the light as it is mostly for safety. New picture once I get the mounting setup like I envision.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Still working on Light mounting but I did install the Mini-gen that I purchased from eBay and it works pretty well. I wouldn't say it's a direct fix for night riding unless you add in a battery and charging circuit but works well enough for a lighted neighborhood like mine. Also, I installed my Continental Moped 26" x 2" tires and they work great! I got them here:

Classic Bicycle Parts | Balloon Tire 26 x 2 Moped 2-22 Continental, black | buy online

I did have to modify the back fender as the tire was scrubbing a bit. The bike handles much like a light motorcycle. More pics soon.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok so it's been a while since I have posted a pic. but here's the latest. I added a couple of shrouds to cover the electrical and space below the seat. So far I'm really happy with the build and it's running well. I'm getting a slight loss of power but I think my plug is about to foul. Bogging a 2-stroke down is not so good for the plugs and only having a single speed doesn't help with that. Next up will probably be some no-rise bars or maybe some of Pat's Boardtracker bars. Also, I have a sprocket on order from Pirates and just got a custom hub adapter from Manic for my Bendix 76 hub.

Attachments

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey Darkhawk, Great lookin build, and very tastefully done. I love the cafe racer look of it.....very unique and keep us posted. Im ordering the NT speed carb as well, and I figured that even if the improvement wasnt great, its a cheap upgrade anyways.....but now im stoked to hear that it made such an improvement!
-Dan

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Ok so it's been a while since I have posted a pic. but here's the latest. I added a couple of shrouds to cover the electrical and space below the seat. So far I'm really happy with the build and it's running well. I'm getting a slight loss of power but I think my plug is about to foul. Bogging a 2-stroke down is not so good for the plugs and only having a single speed doesn't help with that. Next up will probably be some no-rise bars or maybe some of Pat's Boardtracker bars. Also, I have a sprocket on order from Pirates and just got a custom hub adapter from Manic for my Bendix 76 hub.
Hi Hawk,

Niiiice Build!

Your tires...very nice, "motorcycly looking"
a. Do you like them?
b. Are they USA DOT Approved?
c. Was it about 3 weeks and $140 Shipped for 2 tires?
d. Hows the fit?
(I'm looking to upgrade my tires)

Thanks for your help.

Niiiiiice Ride Again!

:)

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks Worksman,

The best place I could find the tires were at this link:

Classic Bicycle Parts | Balloon Tire 26 x 2 Moped 2-22 Continental, black | buy online

a. I do like the tires, they are much better than the original cruiser tires I purchased from Wally World
b. sorry they are not DOT approved which is why they are not imported by Continental into the U.S. but they are moped rated tires in Europe
c. shipping didn't take over 2 weeks, I believe it was more like one week, pricing for the tires is approx. $41 each based on today's conversion and I can't remember on shipping but it wasn't terribly expensive. You would need to go through to the checkout to find out for sure. There is an opportunity to cancel the order prior to placing it.
d. they fit my wheels which are typical 26" cruiser wheels perfectly.

I would be curious to see how these look on one of Sportscarpat's bikes though I think he has had success with some other brands of tires.

Good luck with your build.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
The other day I installed a Viton o-ring and new spark plug from Sick Bike Parts and all seemed to be well but the bike was still skipping a bit so I thought maybe my CDI was going bad again or the carb needed to be cleaned (probably true). In the mean time I had purchased some Castor 927 oil by Maxima to mix with my gas and upon refilling it actually made a big improvement over the previous mix of Home Depot weed eater oil. I got the oil type below:

Castor 927 - $9.99 : Maxima Racing USA, - Overkill

My carb does need cleaning but in the mean time it runs much better with the new gas/oil mix. I use 32:1 by the way. Also, I have no smoke and no noticeable smell from the exhaust.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Thanks Worksman,

The best place I could find the tires were at this link:

a. I do like the tires, they are much better than the original cruiser tires I purchased from Wally World
b. sorry they are not DOT approved which is why they are not imported by Continental into the U.S. but they are moped rated tires in Europe
c. shipping didn't take over 2 weeks, I believe it was more like one week, pricing for the tires is approx. $41 each based on today's conversion and I can't remember on shipping but it wasn't terribly expensive. You would need to go through to the checkout to find out for sure. There is an opportunity to cancel the order prior to placing it.
d. they fit my wheels which are typical 26" cruiser wheels perfectly.

I would be curious to see how these look on one of Sportscarpat's bikes though I think he has had success with some other brands of tires.

Good luck with your build.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. :)

I am currently running a BMP FD Grubee 4 stroke Setup. My BMP Kit has a chain/ belt drive option to a chain sprocket. When I switch over, I think i'll give the Continental KKS10's a try.

Niiiiiiiice build again, very cool! :)

Last edited: