any car mechanics here? broke hood cable

GoldenMotor.com

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
i know theres plenty here.
i didnt realize there was ice in the grooves of fenders pinning the hood down and when i went to open the hood, the cable snapped. how can i open the hood, without tearing a bunch of stuff up?
its a 92 OldsmoBuick (haha) Bravada.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
If you cannot reach the latch mechanism from underneath, you should be able to remove th grill assembly pretty easilly to get to the latch mechanism and manually operate it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Just as Gareth posted is the only way I know of. I have been lucky to where the cable has snapped at the lever inside the car and been able to use pliers to open the hood.

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
if you can get a sqwrew driver nut driver through the grill holes you should be able to pull the lach asembly of the rad mount lift the hood go from there when it happend to my truck i had to cut the grill but....

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
i looked and i will have to pull the grille. the cable snapped all the way at the latch mechanism, just in front of/on top of the radiator. couldnt pop it with needle nose by grabbing the swedge (not much room between grille and hood), so the grille will have to come off to get a better bite on it

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Spunout i asked a friend who is a locksmith how he would open it and he said use a slimjim.He said he would look at another car of the same make and see if the latch pulls or pushes,and its location under the hood.run the slimjim under the crack above the grill and try to pop it open.Also you could use a long extention an a couple of wobble joints and to remove the latch that is bolted to the hood.