i'm really starting to hate UPS

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
here's my situation.

i'm waiting on a bike that i won off ebay. it's a rare, 1930's Colson, complete, been stored in a basement since 1940. it's a girl's bike, but it has all the accessories i want for my next build, and i've been waiting for it for a month, since the woman who sold it to me had no idea how to ship it and had to have a bike store do it.

no big deal, i can wait. i got it for almost nothing. the shipping charges from NY cost me more than the bike.

so it was supposed to be here today, but the UPS tracking system said the address was incomplete, so they are sending me a post card with info so i can contact them and correct the address.

re-read that and tell me it makes sense.

if they don't have my address, how the **** are they going to send me a postcard?

so i call them, and give them my correct address (which, incidentally, is the address they have, which paypal has, which the sender of my package has, etc...) and UPS says the postcard will be here in 3-5 days. then it's another couple days before i'll actually have the bike.

so instead of sending me the package, they're sending me a postcard. WTF?

i can pick it up, but it's 20 miles away, and i don't have a car.

isolated incident?

i ordered tires from Bikesomewhere.com, and they were to be delivered dec. 23rd. when i was getting the mail that day, i saw the UPS guy, and asked him if he had anything for me. he said "no."

i check the tracking an hour or so later, and it says "package left at front door."

i go outside and it's not there. i'm sure i didn't order invisible tires, so i checked with my neighbors, and nothing.

jumped through some hoops online with UPS, and found out the package was delivered to an address about a mile away. instead of # street, it was the same house numbers, only at ## street.

so i ride (pedal) my bike down there, and steal this big box off someone else's porch, and luckily no one stopped me, because i didn't bring my i.d. with me, 'cause i was pi$$ed off and in a hurry.

on that box, my address was printed correctly twice by Bikesomewhere, and then a UPS label with the wrong address.

so if i didn't figure it out, someone might've got a cool christmas present, if they needed 24" tires.

before that, i ordered a few packages and recieved them all, but one time the driver came right about 7pm and told me the address was labeled wrong, but he remembered me, because i got stuff recently.

anyway, i'm just venting. hopefully i can get a ride to pick up this stupid ****ing bike, so i don't have to wait another week or 2 to get it.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I hate ups. I don't see how they stay in business. When they mess up, they treat you like you did something wrong. I guess the best part about ups is watching them walk up on my porch and trip, sometimes fall, with my security cameras. I have even watched a nosy ups guy come running from behind my house when my 200lb English Mastiff told him he shouldn't be there. Wonder what he was doing behind my house. I've had them post that an item was dropped at my front door, with no item there. Start checking into it only to find that the driver got sick (supposedly) and went home early. He didn't want anyone to know that he went home, so he marked all of his deliveries as shipped. Did he think no one would catch this? What an idiot! I don't think he works there anymore. I guess what I'm tryin' to say is, I feel your pain.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
From the shipping end of things it's a nightmare too. We use UPS where I work for all online orders and we often take a hit on shipping charges because the initial quote didn't work out right... which is odd because we get it from UPS themselves (automatically via the site).

We don't wanna lie to the customer and charge 'em $35 when we said it was gonna be $20 so we just pay the difference, which blows 'cause I doubt they ever notice. I bet they'd sure as heck notice if we billed 'em for it though.

Hidden charges, oversize/overweight, random extras tacked on for no apparent reason - it's all "after the fact" as the customer has already paid their bill, including the shipping quoted by UPS. My fave is how a 78lbs package "actually" weighs 100lbs because it's overweight, but they'll happily quote you 78lbs w/o mentioning that... and that's another $30 down the drain (we've gotten that lil "bug" sorted now thank gawd).

After hours on the phone trying to unravel their labyrinthine rationalities, more hours tryin' to "fix" our site, in the end all we got was "that's just the way it is"...

I hates them.

Last edited:

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
ups does suck, remeber in the movie ace ventura pet detective hes kicking the box down the hallway and it says fragile on it-lol, kinda reminds me of ups,everytime i get a package its always beat up.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bairdco,
I feel for you, Bud. Over the holidays I was waiting for a 38 Elgin to come via UPS. On the day the tracking information said it would come I heard the dog barking and looked out my window to see the UPS truck backing down the long drive to where I live... going the wrong way. I guessed he had some trouble with the snow and was going to give it another try, but he just kept going and left. The truck had been stopped for a minute and I guessed he'd been checking out the driveway conditions and decided he didn't want to chance it. Why he didn't honk his horn and wait a minute I don't know as I was out the door to meet him as he disappeared, which pissed me off as it was a Friday and Monday was a holiday. The following Tuesday there was no delivery, so I looked online at the tracking info to see if there was a number for me to call. No number of course, but it did say the package had been delivered the previous Friday. I called the neighbor to see if somehow it ended up with them. Nope. I looked again on the tracking site and saw that it said under delivery the word "auto" which I took as an abbreviation for automatic, meaning what I knew not. Then it dawned on me that maybe when he stopped on the drive he put the bike in the cab of my truck which is parked a couple hundred yards down the drive in the adjacent field. And there the box was, not inside the cab, but sitting hidden behind it the truck... soaked from rain and covered in ice after sitting out in the weather for days. The bike was OK, but what they did was not OK in my book. It isn't the first time UPS has screwed up. Back in Minnesota at my summer home I've had repeated problems with them and FedX (who keep not knowing where my place is from one week to the next). The third outfit whose name escapes me at the moment delivered a bike to my X wife's place thirty some miles away without saying so. It was the same last name, so good enough. No, not good enough when you drive a total of seventy miles to pick up what should have been sitting on the porch.
Still, what's the option? I have had good luck so far with the post office... nothing lost and nothing wrecked. The plus side is that when you live out in the country and a big town is many miles away it sure is nice when the delivery is successful and on time, which is most of the time, I guess. And when you are looking for obscure old parts and bicycles 50, 60 and 70 years old eBay is a great resource. It's a hassle, but what's the option? But I know the feeling when things go wrong.
SB

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
They tick us off here in Canada too . They charge a brokerage fee to carry a package across the border , depending on the cost of the object . The more the item costs the more UPS charges . It's not as if they had to actually deal with money , the items have already been paid for . It's one big scam . .... D.J.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Like DJ said they charge us a brokerage fee to "clear customs".
When they belivered the Monark the UPS office that shipped the bike, listed the wheels that were in a separate box as being the same price as I payed for the bike so UPS charged me $125 more to bring both boxes into the country based on that price per box.

Now when I get things sent I ask if it can be sent by USPS.

Steve.

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
never had a problem with ups, i used them for a couple years at work with no problems. had stuff shipped in and out, personal and work. then someone gets the brilliant idea to switch to fed ex. first day lost packages, dropped wrong packages off, they were supposed to pick up by 330 didnt get here till 7. return a package that is supposed to be in austin TX to buffalo NY(nothing on it said anything about buffalo or new york). ups is great. fed ex blows

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
UPS.....yeah right. they have screwed up more things than they ever got right as far as I have had to deal with them. I use USPS.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
thats WAYYYY too funny , ( they don,t know your address , so they are sending you a post card to get your address )

man thats gotta be the dumbest things i,ve ever heard .

when it does get to your door , pay them in pennies .

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I've delivered a few medical supplies to a neighbor exactly one block away ,on a main through street(they have his name and address on them and you can clearly see his house from my front door)maybe they can put me on the pay-roll....lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
usps service is all i use here in the caribbean. when i shipped my bike for building a motorized bicycle down here fedx and ups were both over $500.00. usps just under $100.00 for priority mail shipping

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
UPS stands for u are payin ****e loads of cash. Like the former replies said they charge customs fees to Canada yet USPS doesn't and they only deliver when I am at work and can't sign for it, I then have to drive and pick it up on my days off. USPS works for me!!