Is my motor normal?

GoldenMotor.com

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
I Just finished my MB today and took it out for the first ride.

After the initial excitement of it actually moving, I was a bit dismayed at how slow it was going. I understand that these motors need to be broken in to, but the fastest speed I could go on full-throttle was a little bit under 15mph.

Is this normal? because optimally I would like to be able to go ~30mph on my 67cc DAX motor. How soon will it take before I can go at speeds I normally bike at?

UPDATE: after I left it in the garage overnight with the gas tank 1/3 full, I came back to it this morning to find it empty and a pool of gas beneath the carb, what could be the cause of this leakage?

UPdate:I think I've solved all my problems; the leakage was caused by a rip in the tube that connects the gas tank to the carb. I learned what the choke lever does and flipped it all the way open to get speeds ~26mph on flat ground.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I think your engine/bike needs adjusting. 25-28mph is normal speeds for breakin and after breakin 25-32mph. It also depends on your bike wheel and sprocket size and how much you weigh. It will get faster after breakin but should not be that slow during breakin.

What size is your bike wheels? smaller than 26" will be slower
what size is your rear sprocket? larger than 44t will be slower
what ratio is your oil-gas mixed at? 20:1 is good
what notch is your c-clip at on your carb slide? 2nd notch from top

also i forgot your throttle cable or the carb slide might be sticking and not allowing you to use full throttle. take off the airfilter and twist the thottle,does the slide in the carb move up and down all the way? you might need a second person to help you.

Last edited:

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
I think your engine/bike needs adjusting. 25-28mph is normal speeds for breakin and after breakin 25-32mph. It also depends on your bike wheel and sprocket size and how much you weigh. It will get faster after breakin but should not be that slow during breakin.

What size is your bike wheels? smaller than 26" will be slower
what size is your rear sprocket? larger than 44t will be slower
what ratio is your oil-gas mixed at? 20:1 is good
what notch is your c-clip at on your carb slide? 2nd notch from top

also i forgot your throttle cable or the carb slide might be sticking and not allowing you to use full throttle. take off the airfilter and twist the thottle,does the slide in the carb move up and down all the way? you might need a second person to help you.
My wheel is a 26"
I dont know what size the rear sprocket is, It's the one that came with the kit so I think its alright.
Oil Gas ratio is ~24:1

What Is a C-clip? I actually dont know what anything on the carb does...
When I assembled my throttle, the slide moved all the way up; I think it should still be that way..

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
How's it sound/react?
I was running really rich and four stroking when I first started my engine.

You'll have to do a bit of adjusting when you first start her up.
I have a feeling my engine might be "four stroking" because the sound isn't crisp at all. How would I go to test and see if this is true or fix it if it is?

I think it would help if someone could explain to me what the "choke lever" on carb did and where I would want it to be.

And, are there any simple adjustments that I could do to the carb that would help my MB go at the speeds it should? (I dont have any knowledge about what any of the parts on the carb do)

Thanks in advance.

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
You gotta learn about the carb.. Cause down the road some stuff might happen and you may need open the carb up.. No worries when i just got here i didnt know one bit about the carbs..

Check this post from norman.. should help you a lot..

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/carburetor-pictures-how-install-rebuild-195.html

You can also check this vid if you're not sure about the sound.. Your bike should sound like that..

YouTube - 80cc Motorized bike running sweet

And also tearing your carb apart may look hard but actually it's really simple..

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
my bike (or at least the carb) is casuing some serious 4 stroking right now. but astoundingly, when i tore it apart this morning before i left work i noticed the main jet fell right out along with the float when i removed the bowl lmfao.... one problem solved. (and i thought it might be plugged....)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
when starting engine the choke should be in the up posistion and after a minute push choke lever down. If you go for a ride and turn off the engine and then want to turn it back on you and the engine is still warm you can start it with the choke down.