need help picking a rear hub that will hold up?

GoldenMotor.com

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
hey everyone. can anyone point me in the right direction on picking a new rear hub for my motorbike.. I'm going to go with a single speed. i just need something that will hold up in the long run. my S/A 3 speed just did not hold up like i was hoping for. I'm running a 3.5 HP briggs motor and reaching speeds of 45 MPH. you could say I'm pretty hard on my bike and thats the way i like to ride it. does anyone know what kind of rear hub i can lace into my wheel that will withstand what i want to put it threw? thanks for the help older pictures of my build. when building

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I'd go with a moped drum brake hub with your set-up. They're designed for bikes with that much power and weight.

If you wanna stick with a coaster brake, the only new hub worth anything is the shimano. All the other ones will fail. But with your bike, you're gonna have to do more hub maintenance, making sure it's greased and adjusted right at all times.

If you can find an older bendix coaster in good shape, that would be my choice. Look for a pre-70's one with the molded spoke flanges (one piece hub shell.) After 1970, bendix had splined, press-on flanges, and I've stripped them, causing the hub shell to blow apart. Not fun.

You can still find NOS bendix hubs, but they get pricey.

The holy grail of coaster brake hubs is the german made Durex. 135mm, brake shoes three times the size of any new hub, made in the 50's for tandems and motored bikes. They pop up on ebay now and then for about $100.

I have one on a pedal bike, and it's a work of mechanical perfection.

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
look like moped it is.. i was trying to avoid this just so i didn't have to do any modifications to my rear end to get it to fit right but its not that big of a deal. thanks guys