New build. 4G clutch clattering.

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
So this is my second build with a 29" Astra. The first build had a hoot, 29.29:1 drive ratio. With a couple pedals I was off and going. At times I would feel some shudder until the clutch engaged but was not bad. With the new build and 4g trans, I am running a drive ratio of 20.83:1. I have to pedal the **** out of it before the chatter goes away. It also clanks real loud until the clutch locks up. Also, with no load (wheel off ground), when the clutch engages it clanks very bad also for the brief moment it engages. It seems I have to be going really fast before this clutch locks up. I have checked clutch for burs, greased the bolts, installed washers and it has not helped. Sounds like a car with a rod knocking. The engine does shake violently under load until I get up to higher rpm. If I were to guess, I would think one pad is not releasing the same as the other two, causing the bell rotor to slam around. No sure where to go from here.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Update... Just swapped out the 5/8 shaft 142f/4g with a tapered shaft 4g kit. I got the 5/8 shaft kit from bicycle engines.com and the tapered shaft 4g kit from gasbikes last week. The kit with the tapered shaft does not clatter whatsoever, and I don't have to pedal like mad before giving it the gas. The tapered shaft kit seems to rev much higher before engagement vs the 5/8 shaft kit. The clutch shoes also look better. I will order a new clutch set for the 5/8 shaft kit and install it on another bike to see how it does. Could be a bad clutch, I don't know. Really hate to be out $400.