New to motorized bicycle and mixte frame help?

GoldenMotor.com

erichsmith99

Mar 7, 2011
GA
Hi i am new to this hobby. Last weekend i built a motorized bike with my cousin and it was so fun i had to get one. I have ordered one from gasbike.com. I have my moms old cannondale mixte bicycle. i think it would look very cool and ride really well if i could mount it on this bike. The only issue is i think the front triangle might be a little small. Please help me. Any engineers have any good ideas of how to mount it? Could it go in top of the 2 top tubes? any custom cylinder heads that might be smaller? Can i shave down some of the cooling flaps to fit the engine. when the engine arrives next week i will let you know more dimensions, just wanted to get a head start on the build.
zpt
Also it has 27 Inch wheels, any special gearing i should use?

Attachments

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Re: New to mb and mixte frame help?

depending how long that seat tube is you mite be able to fit it on the top tube, but i think you'd end up with a huge amount of vibration with it being that close to your body and i question how the chain would work going at that angle, and you mite have clearance issues and probably isn't the safest place for a chain moving that fast considering where your legs would be.

look on craigslist for a good steel frame mountain bike like the ones from the 80s/90s with a straight top tube, or maybe a huffy cranbrook from walmart. i wouldnt personally go for the cranbrook, but lots of others here use em, they're cheap and an easy first build.

good luck and welcome to the forums

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

I have my moms old cannondale mixte bicycle. i think it would look very cool and ride really well if i could mount it on this bike. The only issue is i think the front triangle might be a little small. Please help me. Any engineers have any good ideas of how to mount it? Could it go in top of the 2 top tubes? any custom cylinder heads that might be smaller? Can i shave down some of the cooling flaps to fit the engine. when the engine arrives next week i will let you know more dimensions, just wanted to get a head start on the build.

Also it has 27 Inch wheels, any special gearing i should use?
Mixte bikes are very cool, much better than most Walmart bikes
It's been done and it's a tight fit
ZBOX AUSTRALIA PICTURE GALLERY 2
The 27" wheels will lower your RPMs a bit which is a good thing unless you have a lot of hills
and/or weigh a lot.
EDIT: 27" only give you 1 MPH more at redline if they actually measure 27"
Most 2.125 cruiser tires measure 26.5"

PS: Those cooling flaps are called fins by us engineering type aholes LOL

Attachments

Last edited:

erichsmith99

Mar 7, 2011
GA

Thanks I'll keep my fingers crossed. Ill give you an up date when the motor comes. Are there any methods to change the angle of the mount? It seems as if the motor is at a different angle than the one I installed.
Thanks for the help, keep um coming.