Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I just found this. You can print on card and make it for the shelf, or use it as a blue print for something bigger.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hello Zoran,

When you posted the photo of the single seat buckboard and the early motorcycle I looked at it and realized that I had a lot of the parts already. I don't know what I'll do with them and if they were made into a Red Bug style buckboard they would have a use.

I think it was post #2152 that showed how someone had used the rear section from a child's 20" bike and welded a small platform to it to attach a Brigg and Stratton motor.

I don't know if you could use it anywhere on the road. Most laws say it has to have 3 wheels and pedals to be usable on the road as a motorcycle/trike otherwise it's classed as a car. Electric power may be required as well if you power it.
The E.U. may well have different laws.

I'm sure that one wheel drive would work well to move it fast enough. Somewhere they suggested 16" moped wheels and tires since they are the same as 20" bicycle wheels and tires.

Heavy plywood will work. The builder supply near me has fortunately has a good supply of oak boards at a big price but if they didn't I'd be using plywood myself. Good quality urethane varnish will keep it water proof. I would thin it out 50/50 with turpentine or paint thinner to let it soak into the wood as a primer and then use it full strength to apply 4 or 5 coats.

The Velo-Solex may well work as a power wheel. I don't know much about them but I believe Anne does.

It does open up a whole new world of fun and I'll be out measuring the front axles as soon as the snow lets up. Even if Silverbear and I just sneak up the road to the Bear Head State Park on occasion it would be worth building. If two old men grinning like 10 year old kids with their hands caught in the cookie jar doesn't convince the police officer that we're innocent we will have to pay the fine and build another one.

Steve.
How about i bring mine and you go one way and i go the other,the police can't go both ways at once?........................Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Zoran,

Would it be better to have a frame and wheels built in Belgrade and could you then bring it into Switzerland? What I like about the original Red Bug is that the front axle is square tubing with go kart spindles welded to it with the wood slats bolted to it.
The rear axle is simple to do.

With a pusher wheel it would take 4 front wheels from a BMX bike with disc brakes or a moped with drum brakes. Pedals if they had short crank arms would fit or they could be raised up a little to work.
The photos of the two electric motors driving the vintage car are interesting. An easy way to get power to the wheels.

As I get the tri car finished I think I'll work on planning a Red Bug. Gas or electric will work. After the next operation I will get at it full time.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Ludwig,

Thank for the information about the E.U. The blow up of the car plans is fantastic and gives an excellent idea of how it was built. Just started to late to do it all and the lottery hasn't come in yet.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curt,

I'd just tell them that of course I know better but at my age I have to pack all the fun in while I can because the Train of Life will be pulling into the station soon and I'll have to get off and I won't be able to go back and do the things I missed so I'm doing them now.

I'll be waving my cane about the whole time I'm saying it to.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I love this picture :D

The actual drawings for the Red Bug are available on-line as a PDF. I'm not sure where now, but I do have a printed out copy somewhere on the bookshelf.

Zoran, I don't think a VeloSolex engine would give you what you want. Fitted to a bicycle forward progress can be described as sedate at best and on a four wheeler carrying two people it would be downright slow and lacking in power. It would be highly likely that the thing it would do best is rapidly wear out the tyre on the driven wheel

So this is where all the naughty boys are hiding out and plotting ;)
I have to say that the Red Bug has been an endless source of fascination for me too. It's wonderfully simple and it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUy6unkXzEE

This is my own favourite Red Bug interpretation which I think I've shown off many times before.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
In for a penny, in for a pound ;)

This French buckboard based car endlessly fascinates me and makes me think I should abandon building the 'Intrepid' and do this instead. As we all know so well time is marching on and it's all about doing what is possible in the time we have left. This illness I have isn't going away so simple projects are the best projects.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello Anne![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You “naughty” intrepid girl – just as I forget on building light quadricycle, or decid not to think about that – you find something cute and (possibly) doable![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That Shaw Speedster is dream of any kid, small or big (old)! I never saw or knew anything about it! Shaw is quite similar to your (and mine) beloved French buck-board! Only, it could be without any body or with something different body (Americanized a little?)... But, that could be "cunning plan" - to build simple chassis, register it and later to make cute body, if still want that...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That replica or reconstruction is magnificent, only I shouldn't keep that chain open between driver and passenger. Rear position for engine is simpler, but engine at front had better cooling! Anyway, if I choose electric power, it isn't mater (motors could be under floor with nice flow of air to cool them (they feel better with fresh air)...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My wife was delighted too, with both video-clips! I must research more! Only problem could be that moped's wheels should be supported on both side (axle of only 12 mm). Front wheels could be reconstructed with new bearings with bigger ID: 3/4” or 20 mm...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I spent a few hours translating Swiss regulations for light motorised vehicles and comparing them to European Union's! Not too much differences in low classes. If built is as replica of some classic car, including buckboard – it could re registered on easier way as historic vehicle![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
P.S.: With so much photos, sketches and videos, I do not need any plans, especially not Moor's, which are detailed and professional, but boring!

P.P.S.: I could buy wheels in Belgrade and bring them here, maybe to make some mechanical parts too (steering) chaeaply.... But, chassis is too big and it would simpler to build it here in spite that wood or plywood is 3 times more expensive, but not too much of that is needed...
Zoran

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! Anne, you sure know how to stir up the pot. Just love that front engine Shaw. Like Zoran said, just had that thought surpassed and now? Would just have to find some wheels, Husky has trike wheels,or find some rear 20" mag wheels the Zoran posted earlier. If one got rear mag wheels you could hug them out to fit go-kart bearings. I have the lawn tractor differential. The only thing is not street legal here but could find a cane and join Steve and Silverbear up north were the police are far and few between..........Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Naughty Boys? As the group looks about frantically to see who you talking about. I do like that photo of the young man who is trying to frighten the young lady in the passenger seat.
The young ladies in our lives put up with it and still admit they know us. That's always amazed me.

I have a fresh look at your beloved French velo cars and they are indeed a nice design and relatively easily built on a buckboard. Pedals perhaps to clear any legal hurdles and an electric motor to satisfy the law for those of us required to have them.

A top and side curtains for inclement weather and what a nice vehicle to go to the store and run errands and it allows you to take the long way around to get there.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
P.S.: Pedals - maybe hanging push-pull oscilating pedals or even better sliding for-after: with cables and chains over free-wheels? Like kid-cars?
P.P.S.: Cabiolet top of course, some light windshiled and side curtians - excellent! Removable, or collapsable...
Zoran

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I always did like looking through all the vintage build-it-yourself stuff. Loads of great ideas in there. Being that I have an income tax refund coming in roughly three months, I plan to resume work on my velomobile. I've been adding a few engineering changes which stemmed from things I've seen here and elsewhere. I've been trimming weight in dribs and drabs, on paper anyway, whilst trying to brace for strength where needed. I doubt it will be as light as a carbon fiber streamliner, but for having a steel frame I should still be able to lift it. We'll see what I've got in the end though.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Zoran,

That was what I had in mind for a top with windscreen and side curtains. Something to keep the weather of the people that can be removed quickly if not needed.
With a body like the French velos have it would easier since the seating area is smaller and it has a windscreen.

Steve.