irritated with dax.

GoldenMotor.com

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
So I ordered a couple jets from treatland, a 63 and a 64 to fine tune my engine. Cause I HAD a "65" and "66" unmarked jets from dax that he wraps in shipping tape and guesstimates the number. Got the jets just awhile ago. AND THE dax jets are both smaller than the marked lower numbed jets. So now I'm angry cause now my bike will stay too rich and 4 stroke all the way up to 30 mph. YAY YYY......:-||

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Maybe im not understanding you here but didn't you say that the jets you got from dax are smaller than the ones you had?

If so how do you figure the smaller jets will make the engine run richer?

Maybe im missing something here.... shrug!

Map
.wee.

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
The ones from dax (65-66) have smaller openings than the new actual delorto jets from treatland.(63-64) the ones I got from dax had no marking on the jet itself, but they came in tape with sharpie on them indicating the supposed number. I had a supposed 65 jet in my carb and it was running rich no matter what notch the needle was in, so I ordered a 63 and 64 jet from treat land, both the treat jet holes are bigger than the jet that was supposedly a 65. Don't know where you got the lower jet rich thing. I have ADD or something so my subject matter can be all over the place. Lol I know higher= richer lower= leaner. When I got the ones from dax awhile ago I carved the number that was on the tape into the corresponding jet. I know I didn't mess that up. It's just weird. I have two 65 from dax and there about 1-2 sizes apart I'll post pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The ones from dax (65-66) have smaller openings than the new actual delorto jets from treatland.(63-64) the ones I got from dax had no marking on the jet itself, but they came in tape with sharpie on them indicating the supposed number. I had a supposed 65 jet in my carb and it was running rich no matter what notch the needle was in, so I ordered a 63 and 64 jet from treat land, both the treat jet holes are bigger than the jet that was supposedly a 65. Don't know where you got the lower jet rich thing. I have ADD or something so my subject matter can be all over the place. Lol I know higher= richer lower= leaner. When I got the ones from dax awhile ago I carved the number that was on the tape into the corresponding jet. I know I didn't mess that up. It's just weird. I have two 65 from dax and there about 1-2 sizes apart I'll post pics tomorrow.
I dont personally by different size jets to tune my carbs, I solder and drill mine to the size I need, very simple and much cheaper in the long run than buying new jets and then having several that you cant even use.

A small propane torch, some pliers and an inexpensive set of wire gauge drill bits is all that is needed to do the job.

As soon as I get to my computer and off of this " smart phone " Ill post a link to a set of very inexpensive bits to do the job, it will save you money and allow you to fine tune the carb right, just a samll piec of solid core solder and heated just enough to melt the solder into the hole of the jet and then drill the jet back out to the size you want to try, wire gauge bits size opposite from jet sizes, bigger number on bit smaller it is, all my engines run great will jets drilled with either a #72 or #73 wire gauge bit.

Link coming when I get on my computer.

Below are the links to where I get my bit sets and all the dremel accessories I use for doing port work to the intake, exhaust and transfer ports.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/WB05.html

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SGS3-841DH.html

also if you dont have a propane torch just go to a convenient store and find a TORCH type cig lighter, NOT a flame type but the TORCH type and it should get the jet hot enough to melt the solder, as far as the solder is concerned also you want to get the very small diameter solid wire solder, NOT rosin core or Acid core, clip off a piece abot 1/8" of an inch long make sure the jet is sprayed off good with some carb cleaner spray or brake cleaner to remove any oil, hold jet in pliers so that the screwdriver slot is facing upwards, have the torch ready but do not heat jet yet, place small piece of solder over hole in the jet and heat with torch from bottom side of jet, heat just long enough until you see solder melt and fill the hole then immediately remove flame off of jet, either let it sit and cool or after 15-20 seconds dunk in water.

To drill jet I always drill it from the bottom, hold the jet so screwdriver slot is facing down and then drill the jet slowly and keep the bit running straight inside the jet, try to go slow and not woller the drill bit around as you drill it or the hole will be bigger than the drill size.

Hope this helps, doing it this way will allow you to get the carb tuned perfectly and prevent you from having a pile of different jets that you cant even use.

Map
.wee.

Last edited:

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
I actually bought a torch lighter last week, lol the wind around here gets really annoying whether riding or trying to light a smoke. Lead free silver solder is the one right? Thanks for the links

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I actually bought a torch lighter last week, lol the wind around here gets really annoying whether riding or trying to light a smoke. Lead free silver solder is the one right? Thanks for the links
Doesn't have to be silver baring solder, just plain ole solid wire solder is what I use, but silver baring is fine also it just cost more.

OR​

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This is exactly why I pay no attention to "jet sizes". It has been my experience that they are 'all over the board' and mean nothing. It seems as if the actual orifice size and the number assigned to them are at the whim of whoever is selling them or their suppliers.

Like mapbike, I solder and drill my jets and call them whatever drill bit size I use. I like to experiment and keep a log of what size jet (drill bit) I have installed. That way I can increase or decrease the orifice size moving one bit size up or down as I need for best performance. My drill index has bits that increase in size by .001.

For my altitude above sea level, about 6000', I've found jets soldered/drilled to .025 to
.027 seem to be perfect. I have no idea what those numbers equate to in so-called "jet size".

I had three jets that were stamped 65. All three had different sized orifices ranging from
.031 to .028. They were all way too big for my altitude. Solder fixed them.

As for soldering, I use a electric gun instead of a flame. Solder flux and soft, 60/40 lead based solder. One trick is to make sure the jet is absolutely clean before trying to get solder to stick to it. And don't overdo the solder or it will get into the threads and then you're in trouble.

Tom

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
.wee.Well my DAX jets were over sized by .05 each one,meaning a .70 was really a .75 and so on. they China crap jets and not worth the money. Treatland on the other hand sells the best carbs and parts!!! But what I know anyway, I run Pro Built race Engines !!!!!
and another fact, DAX's engine factory is SLIPPING on QT their not as balanced like a year ago.