Sportsman Flyer Racer Edition

GoldenMotor.com

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Thats Beautiful. I would marry that bike. LOL. I can't wait to see it finished. Also, have you ridden it pedal only yet? How does it ride. Congrats carpat.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Thats Beautiful. I would marry that bike. LOL. I can't wait to see it finished. Also, have you ridden it pedal only yet? How does it ride. Congrats carpat.
Actually this thread has progressed through two Sportsman Racers. First photos are of the prototype that has a shightly different frame configuration. Newer pictures are of Racer #2. Subtle changes to the down tube for aesthetics. Also keeps the WZ and Racer frames identical so I have to inventory fewer parts. The prototype has quite a few miles on it now under engine power. Racer #2 has been on a few gravity cruises (down hill) and under pedal power. Feels big and roomy, long wheel base makes for a stable comfortable ride.
Pat

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Racer 1, my bike, is alive and well, just getting ready to tear it all down for paint.

As Pat said, the frames are slightly different, mine has a smaller loop and the motor sits a little lower in the frame. The later frame has a larger loop and the motor sits a little higher, so the later frames have a little more chain clearance and more room to fit a more aggressive pipe.

The wheel base is the same on all of the stretch models, and I can vouch for how well these bikes ride, they're super stable even at 40 + MPH and proportions, as you can see, are just right.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Where did you get the tires from? Quick brick is FELT isn't it? If it is, how well have they held up to speeds excess 30MPH?
These are custom made Sportsman Racer slicks formulated for the hp and weight of the bike! Seriously, though, the tires are just Bontrager dual compound slicks with some careful placement of black electrical tape to turn Bontrager into "Racer". They are holding up well and I find the beads to be far tighter on the Worksman rims than the Felt Quick Brick. The Felt tires are hard to center and get to run wobble free.
Pat

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Oops, wrong thread. The pictures do show Felt tires on Racer #2. Currently this build has the Bontrager slicks and an Indian red paint job. Rode it just last night and what a machine it is. Nice and powerful.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Very nice BTR, Pat!
I'd like to see your clamshell and hubs for sale.
Excellent work at integrating the expansion pipe with the frame!
...Makes all the difference in the world!!!
Best
rc

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Very nice BTR, Pat!
I'd like to see your clamshell and hubs for sale.
Excellent work at integrating the expansion pipe with the frame!
...Makes all the difference in the world!!!
Best
rc
Thanks, RC. My clamshell adapters are available. You can email for details. The hubs I use need a fair amount of rework for this application. Offsets, sprocket choices, backing plate mods. They are not a simple bolt-on, but once done they are very nice.
Pat