I am having a problem w/ chain/clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
There is this problem that I keep running into, and I can't seem to find any info on here. I had my bike running, not running well, but running. Anyways I shut it down and came back the next day to tune it up, and I turned the carb adjustment until it was tight then turned it counter clockwise 3 1/2 to 4 turns like the instructions said, and when i popped my clutch the back wheel locked up, so i pulled in my clutch and attempted to start again and my chain popped off. I put the chain back on and tryed once again and this time it locked up the rear wheel and broke the chain, and now like 4 or 5 links are all bent and need to be replaced. Does anyone have any idea of what my problem might be? I couldn't post pics here but here is a link to my pics of the bike. New Bike Project pictures by rkorson4209 - Photobucket

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I doubt the idle speed screw adjustment caused your problem.

I would check to see if the chain is caught between the sprocket cover (left rearmost cover) and the sprocket, or between the sprocket and the engine casing itself (both are common).

You can get a replacement chain at Tractor Supply Co. cheap.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Well I got my chain problem solved now after reading endless posts on here. Now my bike seems to be running pretty good, but for some reason I am unable to turn the choke all the way off or it will bog down. Also what it just started doing is when I disengage my clutch to let it idle it seems to rev really fast and its smoking pretty bad I even have smoke pouring out of the head around the seems is this normal or no

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
like marts said;)

From everythin' you've mentioned it sounds like you've a drastic air leak caused by the head not fully torqued down and/or a missing/torn head gasket.

Sometimes they don't mill the surfaces enough for the cylinder and head to meet flush, but it prolly needs just to be tightened a bit - don't over tighten it though else you risk breaking or stripping the bolt/nut. Snug em 'up

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
Well my chain is giving me some problems, and I checked it, and it is really really loose. I think maybe your chain was loose when this happened? I know that my chain is about to do what yours did, based on how it's been acting, with the back wheel locking up and stuff, it's cause it's waaay too loose and getting caught like they said, in the sprocket area.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well my chain is giving me some problems, and I checked it, and it is really really loose. I think maybe your chain was loose when this happened? I know that my chain is about to do what yours did, based on how it's been acting, with the back wheel locking up and stuff, it's cause it's waaay too loose and getting caught like they said, in the sprocket area.
If you recognize this condition why not take care of it before it causes you real problems? If you are using the chain tensioner simply raise the position of the wheel until you have about 1/2 to 3/4" slack in the chain. Failure to maintain proper chain tension and alignment can be dangerous and expensive. People have destroyed their rear wheels and had them lock at speed. Guess what that would be like. Fix it now and enjoy your ride.
Tom

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
If you didn't see the post the black RTV gasket goo held the tensioner in place as well as the bottom motor bracket...no drilling or jiggs req.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
yeah i know now that it WAS the chain tensioner, I finally figured after reading that it was too loose, so as I was raising up the wheel I also noticed the chain was basically riding on the edge lip of the wheel, so I fixed all of that. Then I was having problems with my engine reving to fast when I pulled the clutch in, and my head was smoking, so Thanks to another member on here, I learned that I needed to tighten not only the bolts on the head, but also on the carb manifold, amongst a couple other things, which really helped out alot, my engine was running really smooth, and today was a really nice day, so I was just gonna go for a long ride to work on breaking it in, and I got about a half mile from my house, and I'm not quite sure how this happened, but somehow my rear fender got ripped forward, broke the bracket and threw the fender uner the wheel, I instantly went into a slide at 30 mph like a drift, and I had noticed cars were coming so I tried to steer off the road, I slid like 6 or 7 feet like that when I tried to turn and my bike slipped out from under me slammed me on the ground, where I continued to slide another few feet. The bike is actually in decent condition yet, but in my eyes its wrecked, lol. The seat is torn, fender is needless to say done for and and a few other minor things. I haven't tried to start it yet as my tailbone is wrecked, and a bike seat doesn't look very comfy right now:-|| I am thinking that it was the chain that cought the fender.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sorry to hear about that man - but good to hear you're ok (other than the tailbone ofc)!

Those full fenders have evil ways, not just the chain catching and yer not the first to fall victim to their plotting (the fronts are particularly nefarious);
http://motorbicycling.com/f11/another-tale-fender-failure-10191.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f11/front-fender-problem-motorized-bicycle-289.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/motorized-bicycle-front-fender-dangers-315.html

There's solutions to the problems in those threads and this 'un as well;
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/fender-vibrations-11722.html

Hope yer all healed up, bike fixed back on the road soon man!

lokerman

Sep 17, 2009
michigan
If you recognize this condition why not take care of it before it causes you real problems? If you are using the chain tensioner simply raise the position of the wheel until you have about 1/2 to 3/4" slack in the chain. Failure to maintain proper chain tension and alignment can be dangerous and expensive. People have destroyed their rear wheels and had them lock at speed. Guess what that would be like. Fix it now and enjoy your ride.
Tom
Oh thanks man, I already did that, just forgot to mention it. I also did the bolt through it so it can't move now. I also straightened it out a bit, and the combination of being tighter and straighter has made it much quieter!

lazieboy

Sep 5, 2009
Mid-west
I had similar prob. it was that the motor was a little cockeyed and at tight chain rotation it would twist motor and lock up chain in sprocket cover. Got that fixed, But now problems with coaster break leaver not clearing new sprocket bolts how can i fix. please chime in.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, you have to put a little "Z" bend in some of them. Some are easier than others, unless you have a big vise and a big pipewrench, then they are all easy.