longest distance

GoldenMotor.com

phyrstorm

Feb 8, 2011
no,la
I was thinking about taking my 4-stroke for a trip thats about 100 miles. I was wondering if anyone has done a long trip like this before or has any forewarning. what are the longest trips you guys have done?

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I did 16 miles one way then i took a break then 16 miles back home was enough for me cause it took forever with start and stop traffic. Im just worried about not having a way back home if i break down.

jg767

May 28, 2008
I've gone 250 miles in 12.5 hours. I used a 40cc Tanaka. very reliable. Should be no problem with a 4 stroke, either. Just carry a good tool kit. I always plan for a flat tire. If you don't you'll surely get one!

SrtBrad

Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I just finished a 75 mile continuous trip. Has no problems with my Venice Motor Bikes prepped bike. I might do a ride to San Diego and do the 70 mile GTG as well. That would be fun. I wonder if anybody else is crazy enough to join me?

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
You'll have no problem. I took my 2 stroke PK-80 just over 80 miles in one day. 42 one way. Went to the fair, and 42 back.

-Hawaii

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
100 mi ride is a piece of cake with a well designed, comfortable bike. Mine averages 25mph depending on terrain, sometimes more sometimes less. I ride routinely to a town 25mi distant when R&Ding a bike. One hour non stop, off the bike for 15min for a rest and look over and then back home. Would be no problem to do this in 4 sessions. You have to have a bike designed for traveling. Comfortable seat, bars at the right height etc., and I use a friction lock thumb throttle so relieve hand strain. Traveling long distance with a "style" type bike, I have several, is gonna be limited. Similar to long hours on a sport bike. Can be done but not my many. Ride your bike for an hour non stop if you have a place to do so. At the end of the hour you will begin to see/feel its short comings.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
100 mi ride is a piece of cake with a well designed, comfortable bike. Mine averages 25mph depending on terrain, sometimes more sometimes less. I ride routinely to a town 25mi distant when R&Ding a bike. One hour non stop, off the bike for 15min for a rest and look over and then back home. Would be no problem to do this in 4 sessions. You have to have a bike designed for traveling. Comfortable seat, bars at the right height etc., and I use a friction lock thumb throttle so relieve hand strain. Traveling long distance with a "style" type bike, I have several, is gonna be limited. Similar to long hours on a sport bike. Can be done but not my many. Ride your bike for an hour non stop if you have a place to do so. At the end of the hour you will begin to see/feel its short comings.
Well said cannonball2, somewhere around a hour nonstop riding tells you why there is a difference in sport bikes and touring bikes in the motorcycle world. I did a 4 1/2 hr ride on the Flying Dutchman covering 120 miles and that is why I am building a new bike. The recumbent has it all over the upright style bikes when the ride gets much over an hour.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I did 115 miles at an average speed of 25 mph not counting a lunch stop of about an hour. It was easy. I could have gone a lot further.

But it depends on how comfortable your bike is and your degree of fitness.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Way back when I was a factory rider for their prototype. We worked a standard 8hr shift and took a 15min break after 2hrs, and a half hour 'lunch' break at mid-shift. We were expected to do 300 miles.

It was important to take those breaks!
...and we were on full-sized motorcycles...

I am amazed at those guys who participate in those Iron Butt long distance rides!

It must really take stamina to take a long ride on a MAB !
All of you who do so have my respect!

Best
rc

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My longest MC ride was last Jan. My daughter(who loves to ride) came up to metro Atlanta for my Dads funeral. The person she hitched a ride with had a change of plans, and extended their stay. My daughter had to be at work on Mon am. We left Sun at 11pm(couldnt have figured this out earlier?!!) on the ole K100RT and got into Orlando about 7:45am. She had enough time to get ready and make work by 9. I had to beat if possible a winter storm with snow and sleet predicted to start around nightfall at home. I killed some time to regroup and left about 10am. I arrived home just before 8pm. Precip fortunately passed to the north. The total mileage was 978mi. What made this doable were the stops evey hour or so. 15min off the bike renews the physiolgy a fair amount. Needless to say I was beat. I carry this over to the MB trips and it works well.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Check the "other forum". There was a guy that left Tampa, FL and was heading to the west coast via the northern route. I don't know if he finished it or not. The last I heard he was in Utah or something.

Then there was another guy over there that left California and went to Alaska.

Terry

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Man you guys are studs. I would go longer if i had food, drinks, no stop lights and a bike with less vibrations. Cant wait to get my SBP chamber and a 36 tooth sprocket, that should make my trips more enjoyable. I can never go WOT cause my gonads start hurting

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I know that you'll be fine doing a 100 miles on a 4-stroke because i've done a few trips with mine when i had it running good,but also i've done a trip to massey recently and that was 140 miles round trip, in about 9 1/2 hours one way and 9 1/2 hours back again with 85 l.b.s of gear on board running a 48 tooth sproket and that was with a 2-stroke china girl and it did fine, although my bike is set up as a touring bike with a larger mtb lug set frame.

xct2 cflg

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I rode my 49cc EZ drive bike on a 40 mile ride at the Portland, Indiana rally & kept up with the Cushmans & Whizzers okay. I ride it anywhere.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I still plan on going across country myself. I want to break it down to three 2 hour sessions a day with 30 minute breaks in between, maybe a longer break between the last two. That still gives me 6 hours of drive time a day. At an average of 25 MPH thats 150 miles give or take a few. Of course the road really dictates how long you will ride. One thing is to start early in the morning so you can avoid delays and of course the heat of the day. Also if something happens you have most of the rest of the day to handle it. Comfort is also a concern. I am building a Sportsman Flyer from Pat, but with a 4-stroke motor. The handlebar choice is my main concern, considering back pain. I plan on making two sets of handlebars that I can change back and forth. I will keep the electronics, mirrors and brake handles on each bar, that way all I have to do is unhook the brake cables, unplug the electric harness plug and slip off the throttle. This way I can still look cool hauling around town and then change out for comfort when I travel.