Clutch cable fraying and breaking

GoldenMotor.com

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
After 6 months of riding, I noticed the clutch slipping, which was weird because I just adjusted it. I checked the clutch lever, and it turns out the cable had been frayed and broken by the mechanisms in the clutch lever. There were 2 small strands holding it together, so I'm glad I didn't take it out again that day...

I ordered a new one, does anyone have tips on keeping that from happening?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the clutch was "slipping" to me that would mean the cable was possibly too tight, not loose as you would expect of one near ready to break. If there were only two strands holding, the cable would have most likely been longer, not shorter.

You might be looking at two problems. Clutch slip could be from worn or dirty friction pads or clutch adjustment. A frayed cable wouldn't cause it.

As for the cable damage in the "lever", I'm assuming you mean the clutch actuator arm on the engine? If you're referring to the handlebar lever that might be caused from a cable that is twisted allowing the barrel end to bind in the lever mechanism.

If you mean the arm at the engine, we always suggest that cable be soldered at the end to keep the strands from unraveling. Overtightening of the locking collar on the cable will cause the cable to fray also. Misalignment of the cable guide can put side stress on the cable where it exits the guide and that too can cause cable wear.

We also suggest lubricating the cable inside the sheath as well as the barrel end at the handlebar lever. That will reduce wear also.

Tom

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
Yeah it was the end on the handlebar. The acutator end was fine. The cable broke right before the round barrel thing that goes into the handlebar lever.
I dont think slipping was the right word; when I pulled the handlebar lever all the way I could hear the clutch just starting to engage.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
seen some of these levers assembled out-of-line such that cable drags on the end of the adjuster mount - I usually use a jeweler's file to open the channel up a bit, then put a dab of grease in it

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
^^ wut Manic said, ayup. Not all that expensive and is so much smother. The "less give" is also a bonus. Ya'd never notice until ya try a better cable with your bike. Just feels better and more stout.

Some ATV clutch handles have a really cool locking mechanisms, too.