China girl motor idle RPM & measuring it?

GoldenMotor.com

Diceman

Oct 2, 2011
Michigan
Anyone know what a "normal" or "decent base" RPM should be for a China Girl while at idle and what methods work best for mesauring said idle RPM.

I should also add that I have an automotive timing light I'm willing to "modify" for this.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Re: China girl idle RPM & measuring it?

I set my idle as low as it will go and increase about 1/8 turn, with the engine running with the clutch disengaged. Each engine will differ, no set RPM like in a car. No timing light needed.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Use your ears...these motors sound ugly when you overrev them...as far as idle, I just go with what the engine seems to like. Not worth the time modding a light IMHO. I run mine at the "sweet spot" rpm's.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Adjust the idle speed just high enough that it doesn't stall when the throttle is released. Why worry about what RPM that is? It's unimportant.

There are tachometers available but they're not going to provide you with any meaningful information. Set your idle speed as low as you can get it then go ride and have fun.
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

I go for a "smooth" idle. I can go lower, but I get that "sputter-sputter" stuff and I think the motor could die.

So I go a little higher to where the "sputter" is only sporadic and not regular.

Diceman

Oct 2, 2011
Michigan

Thanks for all the input everyone. Looks like I'm "overthinking" this motor...

Small engines are new to me, I appreciate your patience!