chain cleaning

GoldenMotor.com

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Obviously, a parts washer will clean a chain, but, I'm wondering if there might be a better way. Something that uses way less liquid in order to not wash fine sand into the rollers perhaps?

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I take the chain off of the bike and wipe as much of the dirt and grease off as I can with a rag.Then I get a small desposable tuperware and soak the chain in simple green (concentrated version that comes in the gallon jug. Then I spray it with brake cleaner. Brake cleaner cans are great because they are high pressure and spray really hard and the cleaner degreases and evaporates quickly. The chain comes out like new.

If you use the right size tuperware then you don't use a whole lot of simple green.

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I like that. It does stand to reason that a bath would not force fine particles into the rollers the way a pressurized parts washer would. Do you shake the tupperware or just let it sit for a certain amount of time?

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I let it soak for about 30 minutes then spray it with the brake cleaner imediately. The pressure from the brake cleaner gets all of the gunk out of the nooks and crannys. Also it evaporates and the chain will be dry after a few minutes.