Twin Spark Plug Cylinder Head Prototype!

GoldenMotor.com

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
HI FRED cant wait to play with this unit you have coming for me but still not sure on the best way to fire both plugs and this cdi box you have coming to me do i just connect two coils up to this ? wouldnt i lose current from one the other can you give more info please cheers

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi Mick.
Okay, so if you look at the diagram, the upper right terminal of the CDI is the output to the coil. Of course you must obtain a suitable coil. There are thousands of them out there; just look for something you would use on a scooter. So, if you are to run twin spark plugs, you will need to purchase two coils. You will also have to obtain a small 12 volt battery. The upper right output terminal of the CDI can power both coils. One wire of the coil is to be grounded, and I think it is usually a green wire, the other wire goes to the upper right terminal of the CDI. Since you will run two coils, both those wires (one from each coil) will connect together to that output terminal of the CDI. I just ordered a wiring harness for the GY6 scooter, and it should have the right kind of plugs to fit the CDI. You could do the same too, if you want to build a nice harness. Unfortunately, the wiring harness costs about 45 dollars, and all I'm going to use is two plugs! What I did the first time running the DC fired CDI was to solder the wires directly to the CDI terminals. It didn't look like a factory job, but it worked totally fine. I am slowly, but steadily working on developing a nice twin ignition kit, but it will take some time, and they will be a little pricey. I will post some pictures soon of the work I'm doing with this. I'm developing some aluminum pieces that will actually fit to the gas tank studs used for mounting the gas tank. The battery pack/s and the cdi will fit underneath the gas tank. There will also be two aluminum side panels to hide those components. The side panels can also be used for mounting a charging plug and a on/off switch. The battery packs and the cdi take up most of the room underneath the gas tank, so I thought the coils could be mounted on the outside surface of these panels. I have a lot of work, so it might be a couple of weeks before I can put those images up here for you to see.
Keep up the good work; this is all really new stuff, I think I may only be one step ahead of you on this, so whatever help you or anyone else is willing to contribute would be very good.
Thanks
-Fred

Attachments

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
fred your work is second to none and cant wait to get this ignition system you have come up with ...well done very nice to see your art that works and for you to build a complete A+++++++++ looks that really does work what a credit you are to the motorised bike seem and have you shown the world as yet or have i got excited and blown the spark ?

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
fred show us all your art what you have just completed well done great job and so cant wait to put mine on ... your so much a credit to the go fast motorised chinagirl wow .... what is truely next

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
fred show us all your art what you have just completed well done great job and so cant wait to put mine on ... your so much a credit to the go fast motorised chinagirl wow .... what is truely next
Oh boy, I don't know what is next. Honestly, I think I may have taken too far with the whole twin spark stuff. I've probably spent a week going through all the details with making these ignition kits. Before I sell any to anybody, I am going to have to make a satisfactory limit of liability document that any purchaser must sign. The reason is that there are some real risks with having a battery on board. The battery has sufficient energy to potentially start a fire. My terrible design has the battery clamped to the underside of the gas tank! I'm imagining some kind of internal fault which causes a fire, and ignites the gas tank. Unfortunately, I could be held liable for a mishap. Because of this, I am weary of selling the ignition kits.

Sorry about the bummer, but our government has it's head up it's butt, and it doesn't realize that it is putting a damper on all kinds of new things.

Anyway, back to the project;
Check out the pictures; Even though it's a little silly, it sure looks damn cool!
This bike also has an offset engine, allowing for 3 inch tires!

This system has twin 12 volt systems; one for the ignition and one for auxiliary lighting.

Hope you like it!
-Fred

Attachments

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi Mick.

Well, the first prototype I ran earlier this year worked terrific. Since then, the combustion chamber was tweaked to have a wider squish band. I also put a third hole for the addition of a compression release valve. I have not run the new style head yet. This bike is almost ready to ride. It's very cold here now, so I'm not doing very much road testing.
Thanks
-Fred

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
fred i was wondering the 12v lighting system with a charge unit that runs off the magneto to then charge battery as you ride ... would you use this to charge battery to the cdi unit to run the twin plug unit ..... i was wondering if we run two of the jag cdi boxes one unit advanced and the other cdi retarded what would the result be do you think or would it work .... what is your thought on this any ???? zpt

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Yes,
I believe there is a kit out which produces 12 volts. I think their ebay store is "Wonderful Creations". Well, I just need to figure out why the new bike keeps flooding the engine. Once I can start testing the new bike. I want to evaluate the batteries I have selected to see how well they keep the charge. If the batteries perform well, then I think that plugging it in when you get home is no big problem. You know, one of my concerns, is that can one CDI reliably power two coils? Well, they were designed to only run one coil, so to assume they could handle two is a little risky. In the first prototype I successfully ran it that way earlier this year had no problems, but I only ran it for a few months; hardly a long test run. One solution I had to address that potential problem was to run one battery powered CDI/coil assembly to operate one spark plug, and the other spark plug could be run with the conventional ignition unit, or the Jag system. So there would be a slight mismatch in ignition timing between the two plugs, however, that may not be bad thing, in fact, it could even be better. I don't know.
Thanks
-fred

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
yes it is in production now can I own two of them I also manufacture the CDI for them you can contact the gentleman that makes them at CRMachine.com his name is Fred and as far as the ignition is concern you'll be needing one of my "HD's Lightening CDI KITS" it powers a Yamaha Banshee Twin Coil Pack. You can contact me by email at
Huffydavidson@yahoo. com
brnot