Caveat emptor. Let The Buyer Beware.

GoldenMotor.com

Joshua1938

May 20, 2009
Oregon
I decided to purchase an engine for a bicycle.

Trying to talk to a real person and finding someone who knows the specs is is harder than the assembly of the bicycle IMHO.
I called five 'companies'..

They all fell within the below experience.

If you can get by the recordings then you get a guy who sounds like he's alseep answering the phone under a name for some 'import/export' company.

Ask for tech support, or to ask technical questions of these engines he has'nt a clue apart from what they call 'customer support' which is simply running your tracking number and taking your credit card info..

I even got one company who makes your doctor's appointments for you?..
Only on the internet.

I did have one guy call back (apparently he saw my unanswered call on his cell phone) and identified himself with a name of a company I did not call.

I later traced the name he gave to another website company on the net under a different name.

Apparently alot of these 'companies' have either more than one name or run under an umbrella of 'import/export' from a website.

The operator your speaking to may be selling everything from ladies underwear to bicycle engines from China.

Here's the bottom line.

Before you spend your hard earned cash on anything, first make sure you have a person to talk to who knows what he is selling.
And that there is some kind of a warranty.
A store front with a number and a real person.
If you keep getting recordings, or no answer, this should be a red flag that this guy may be operating form his aunt's barn.
Also check the reputation of the company with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) to see if there any complaints.
Selling from the back of a station wagon or the guys garage and a lap top does'nt cut it.

Ask some questions when you do make a contact.
If the guy does'nt have a clue, then you won't either if your engine goes south and your out a couple of bills, your time and no one to answer your questions or satisfy any problems.

When I find a company that has a real person I can call during the workday, with a real store and a real warranty, I'll spend the cash.

Caveat emptor. Let The Buyer Beware.

Last edited:

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
You've come the the right forum, friend!

You'll get some good help here from members, including members who've gone into the biz of making and supplying bikes and parts.

I've done bi'ness with two of those companies mentioned, and I concur. Real people, good service, satisfaction with the products bought.

Now that I'm thinking of it, and while I'm on line, I think I'll go visit a couple those companies and buy the carb/air breather and muffler I've been longing after.

-Brenton

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Joshua,
Listen to the advice offered from the two men above. Stay away from the no-name ebay sellers and stick with people with a proven track record for supplying quality as well as after sale customer support. Most of those listed by Bill are not only sellers but members here on this forum and the can walk the walk and talk the talk because they build bikes too. Here is another to add to the list of reputable engine / kit suppliers.
Home of the CH bicycle engine, CH80 Bicycle Engine Kits by Chris Hill, Motorized Bicycles, Bike Engine, Bike Motor, Bicycle Motor kit
Tom