Beginner Buying advice

GoldenMotor.com

Mheppert

Jun 26, 2015
California
Hello all, new to the forum and have a few questions. I've been lurking around reading for a while and all of the vendor suggestions I am finding are a few years old and it seems that every vendor has changed their warranty. So what are the best warranties to date? I am looking at piston bikes jet 66cc Kit to slap on my Huffy Cranbrook for a little extra summer fun. Any and all suggestions are also greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Matt. .flg.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, that question can be answered many ways. I like most of the members here that have built a few of these disassemble the engine before I ever run it. This will void the warranty but by doing this I've never needed a warranty. If you're going to use a cranbrook be careful of the brakes, the coaster brake leaves a lot to be desired. I always add a front brake of some type, a bmx side pull brake with a 96mm reach works on a cruiser bike.

Mheppert

Jun 26, 2015
California
Welcome to the forum, that question can be answered many ways. I like most of the members here that have built a few of these disassemble the engine before I ever run it. This will void the warranty but by doing this I've never needed a warranty. If you're going to use a cranbrook be careful of the brakes, the coaster brake leaves a lot to be desired. I always add a front brake of some type, a bmx side pull brake with a 96mm reach works on a cruiser bike.

Oh of course with the brakes. I already plan on a dual pull brake lever from sick bike parts and brakes on front and rear. I don't have a death wish. Perhaps o should tell a little bit more about the project and see if anyone else has any further advice, as I'm sure I can't have thought of everything. Planning on a 66cc kit on the huffy Cranbrook with front and rear side pull brakes with larger clearance for a cruiser. Also possibly a lay back seat post for a little more room as I'm 6'6" 220lb. I've been looking around for a while and have heard a lot of good about both rawmotors and piston bikes with the jet kit. I'm not super mechanically inclined but I know which end of a screwdriver to use, so I can learn some things. Just not super sure it would be a good idea to take apart the engine and then be able to get it back together again, although it is probably a good option. I would just hate to void the warranty and then need a replacement for a bad part. I'm a college kid so obviously budget is no problem... Oh wait. Money is a little tight so I'd like to keep things reasonably priced, hence why I'm not running straight to Dax for that beautiful f80 Kit and amazing customer service. But any other help or advice would be so greatly appreciated as I'm sure the members on here are all wise beyond their years.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have a 66cc kit that I got off e-bay for $125 delivered, what I did to it was removed the cylinder and ported it, cleaned up the transfers and washed out the crankcase with fuel mixture. Then poured the mixture out onto a towel draped over a five gallon bucket to catch and debris or metal shavings. Its not hard to reasemble, the cylinder can be put back over the piston by squeezing the rings with your fingers. By the way I didn't find anything in my engine, or any of the others I've built.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I don't like coaster bikes even with extra brakes - 10 miles from home with an empty gas tank requires gears.