Looking for Vintage Engine template for Board Track

GoldenMotor.com

ElectricSpokes

Dec 19, 2015
New Jersey
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and have discovered a ton of info here. Thank you all for offering your discoveries and wisdom.

We have opened the first E-Bike shop dedicated to motorized bicycles in NJ. We have a special focus on vintage bike frames and vintage motors.

We have an early boardtrack motorized bicycle built by Pat Dolan from Sportsman Flyer. It is one of the most popular bikes in our showroom. We've had numerous requests for other models...but specifically for e-bike versions.

We have a number of great drop-loop frames in stock from which to build any racer, but looking to do a custom model that has every look and feel of a Pope, Indian, or Excelsior, but which acts as a mid-drive electric. Most of the custom models we've seen out there aren't really all that attractive.

My question is machining an early Twin Cylinder Head engine but making engine CASE hollow - free of internal gearing, drive, pistons etc. and using the case for electric-power storage rather than internal combustion. The cylinder heads would be Lifepo4 battery storage, and the main body would be a mid-drive e-bike unit.

Anyone have any suggestions where to find engine case specs, or of anyone willing to machine such a job for a fee? Don't know where to start for this so probably any suggestion would at least point us in a direction.

Thank you again for your help. Our company is Electric Spokes Co. and we'd love to be able to provide more electric and gas motored vintage cycles to our customers. brnot

Sincerely,
D.

Attachments

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but a very talented member of our forum made this wonderful bike and engine a few years ago. LINK

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and have discovered a ton of info here. Thank you all for offering your discoveries and wisdom.

We have opened the first E-Bike shop dedicated to motorized bicycles in NJ. We have a special focus on vintage bike frames and vintage motors.

We have an early boardtrack motorized bicycle built by Pat Dolan from Sportsman Flyer. It is one of the most popular bikes in our showroom. We've had numerous requests for other models...but specifically for e-bike versions.

We have a number of great drop-loop frames in stock from which to build any racer, but looking to do a custom model that has every look and feel of a Pope, Indian, or Excelsior, but which acts as a mid-drive electric. Most of the custom models we've seen out there aren't really all that attractive.

My question is machining an early Twin Cylinder Head engine but making engine CASE hollow - free of internal gearing, drive, pistons etc. and using the case for electric-power storage rather than internal combustion. The cylinder heads would be Lifepo4 battery storage, and the main body would be a mid-drive e-bike unit.

Anyone have any suggestions where to find engine case specs, or of anyone willing to machine such a job for a fee? Don't know where to start for this so probably any suggestion would at least point us in a direction.

Thank you again for your help. Our company is Electric Spokes Co. and we'd love to be able to provide more electric and gas motored vintage cycles to our customers. brnot

Sincerely,
D.
Great concept for electric. Loop frame perfect, but I'd suggest using a faux fuel tank for batteries...I realize you'll raise the center of gravity by doing this but your v- twin can then be simplified for the e-motor and look more authentic.
I built a fake V-twin a few years back using China girl barrels & heads. Unfortunately the guy moved on with his job & no photos, but I'll try to explain the very simple design to replicate the look of an early twin.
Look at the photo of the beautiful Pope & you can identify basic shapes formed - the crank case is a simple round tube capped with relatively flat caps forming a case for your e-motor.
The tube used being of sufficient diameter to house the motor & fill the loop frame needs two holes cut ( 2" ea. ) to allow mounting the cylinder barrels to the tube with the head bolts holding the whole to the tube. I used 6" or 7" diameter aluminum heavy wall tube about 5" wide for my fake, but steel could be used for a prototype if you are not comfortable with tig.
I turned the intakes to face each other inside & fabricated a short intake to mount a single china girl carb between the jugs. Used the flanges and short section of two kit type exhausts to make "tracker" style pipes.
If you want external valve train that too is simple to make in your home shop using scrap valve springs, rockers & stems. Carefully remove the head fins around two of the head bolts, leaving enough room to fit the springs with a cut off tool. Remember it really doesn't have to work, just appear realistic... so each valve train is held together by a head bolt.
Weld a motor mount plate to the tube which will match up with your frame mount design and the basics are completed.
That said your mid-electric match up has to be easily accessed & efficiently mounted. I added quite a bit of machining to both tube and plates giving the finished work a period look and feel. I used a much larger after market aluminum heads & brass "acorn" nuts and brass fittings along with copper tubing and a glass sediment bowl filter. The key to making it look real, even under close examination, was the use of the two old Chinese jugs & keeping everything in realistic proportion. Be creative and have fun! Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Left out a significant detail. The height of the cylinder jugs will probably need an adjustment in height to stay in proportion to the bottom case. Easy & authentic look can be achieved by adding two inch round tube between the jug and the bottom case, one to three inch rise can dramatically alter the look of authenticity. Rick C.