New BTR, Need Wheels, Ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Has anyone used Husky bicycle rims? Are they heavy duty like steel worksman rims and more importantly, will servicycle simplex tires fit on the rim?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I re-laced a Husky for a guy. It seemed to be a pretty stout wheel.
Having only seen, but not worked on, a Worksman, and budget not being a concern, I'd vote for the Worksman.

You're likely to get plenty of advice here. :)

Good luck, and keep us informed.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
G'day Jazz,
you can go with so many choice's of wheels it really is the matter of the weight and size of your motor and bike. how fast you go if you want to run disc, hub
or drum brake ,
then the money you wanting to spend just remember the cheap wheel is not a strong wheel choice or life,but then again a moped wheel can be cheap and strong for motorised bikes
what i read the workmans are strong for motorising in many case's but i can say getting a good set save's hassle down the road .duh.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
G'day Jazz,
you can go with so many choice's of wheels it really is the matter of the weight and size of your motor and bike. how fast you go if you want to run disc, hub
or drum brake ,
then the money you wanting to spend just remember the cheap wheel is not a strong wheel choice or life,but then again a moped wheel can be cheap and strong for motorised bikes
what i read the workmans are strong for motorising in many case's but i can say getting a good set save's hassle down the road .duh.

Agreed.
As far as the OP question about simplex tires fitting, to my knowledge the only rims the simplex tires fit besides simplex wheels are SOME of the Worksman wheels..I believe it is the steel 26" ones that are compatible.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I have used a couple of sets of Husky rims both steel and aluminum. They seem pretty stout but I eventually replaced them in favor of 24 inch motorcycle rims due to better selection of DOT rated tires available.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Worksman or Husky both great choices. I like steel some like aluminum.The steel wheels are heavy but if your building a Board track your bike is most likely going to weigh a lot anyway. If your building it for racing or speed go aluminum. just mi 2 cents!

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
There were a large batch of Worksman steel rims that were just ever so slightly smaller than other batches. You could mount the Simplex tires on those. What I found after experimenting with many tires is the Simplex tires handle terrible and the cost and trouble to mount them are just not worth the hassle. Just my opinion. My current favorite are the Maxxis Hookworm tires in 26 x 2.5 and the Maxxis Downhill MTB tubes. Real tough combination and they handle as good as anything.
If you do buy Worksman rims just spend an extra few dollars and buy the aluminum ones. They have the same vintage shape but are much better quality than the steel rims and come standard with 11ga stainless spokes. Steel rims come with plated spokes.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Personally, I'd go for a pair of small trail bike 21" wheels and an old fashioned block tread tyre. As has been pointed out, the strength and engineering are there, whereas it will often be questionable with bicycle parts.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Happy hunting. Try looking in vintage motorcycle magazines, there has to be something out there.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I don't know what's available in the US. What rims and rubber do the replica board racers use?

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
a bicycle frame is just that loading DOT approved wheels and tires along with engines that weigh above the little 66 cc cast aluminum China Doll is more a gamble than not it would be better to have a wheel fold under the bike's frame than the bike's frame fold under the seat

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
For looks, I can recommend the Felt Circuit tires. They are not DOT rated speed tires, but I have ridden them at 50mph and they seemed to work well. I also like the electra cruiser diamond tires in white.

But for handling, you can't beat the maxxis hookworms.

Hey Pat, I thought you have been using motorcycle tires on your builds? At what speeds do you run the hookworms?

Gilbert

Last edited: