Spitfire

GoldenMotor.com

RollingStone

Oct 15, 2014
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the forum for a while and decided to finally start posting.

This is my second build and hope its the second of many!

It started with a schwinn typhoon which I got used for about $75.

Found a dude on the list of Craig that sells the motors for $185 (was not aware they won't ship them to ya here)

Made the 20min trip, picked it up and it was on! I painted the engine head, clutch, magneto and engine sprocket cover, motor sprocket, gas tank and that piece of crap we call a chain tensioner laff

Im going to paint a spitfire skateboards logo on the gas tank but am debating either learning to weld, paying someone to weld me a tank or buying a very small motorcycle peanut tank... because I really, really want a peanut tank.
View attachment 73878
I really like how the tank starts small and skinny and ends tall and square. it puts the tank right around chest height and the look just tickles my fancy... a bigger tank then the 2.5L would be nice too I seem to go through tanks like nobody's business.

it has a 24 x 2.215 rear wheel and a 26 x 1.75 front wheel.

I also added some ape hangers and a banana seat for a more exaggerated bobber motorcycle look. The banana seat was a little too high and not far back enough for me so I went to home depot and used a 5 in 3/4 threaded steel pipe, a 90 degree elbow (3/4 to 1/2) and a 4 inch 1/2 threaded steel pipe and made myself a bent seat post. flipped the little latch that the seat post connects to the seat upside down and was able to put the seat more or less where I wanted it.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You need to make a few post before you can post picture. Look up how to post pictures in the search at the top.............Curt

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
AAA.jpg

Here she is. I really like the way it has turned out.

I just installed the ADA air filter and short expansion chamber but haven't had a chance to take a photo yet.

Here is the original photo of the style of tank I am looking for

4768027548_8013e53128_z copy.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Suweet build, RS.

just to add to the above...

Tanks can be pricy. BA did a cool DIY thread. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=17323 Ya cut out what you want for a tank then have it welded. At the end are some ideas using alumiweld, which is amazing stuff.

But if ya search around there is a lot of other ideas, too.

If you get the opportunity, learning to weld is a blast and then ya can do some amazing stuff. No matter what you decide, try and learn welding.

Build some thing cool!
.wee.

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
That is perfect! The price on some of them are really not that bad, thank you so much 2door!

Dan,

There is actually a welding school in my neighborhood called Molten Metal Works and they offer intro to welding classes for about $100 then more specified classes (such as burner bikes) for the same price.

They have an open shop you can come and work on your stuff and ask questions at once you've taken the classes. I think I'm signing up here in a few weeks.

I really want to dive in to the motor/welding world!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh that is cool! Will open so many things for ya.

I have a small MIG. Big time fun and comes in uber handy. I'm not any good with it yet. My welds are dang fugly but ya can beat em with a sledge.

This is a cool site; http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ Easy to understand tutorials without making ya feel like ya rode the small bus.

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Here is an update to some work I did the past couple of days...

Added a Independent Skateboard Truck Company sticker to both sides of the gas tank (Im waiting for some blue Spitfire Skateboards to arrive at the local shop but couldn't help myself) 1/2" wire loom which I wasnt sure about at first but actually ended up liking how it fills the space and makes the bike look more beefed up.
IMG_4614-1.JPG

I am also in the process of getting it registered so I got a left side mirror, getting one for the other side but there was only one with the blue reflectors.
IMG_4615.JPG
IMG_4616.JPG

Tomorrow I am off to buy some brillo pads and using it as a sponge with detergent to get those white walls white again. Friday I receive a 300 lumen headlight with a small red light for the rear, Analog speedometer and tachometer. Cannot wait!
IMG_4617.JPG

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
... snip... I am also in the process of getting it registered so I got a left side mirror, getting one for the other side but there was only one with the blue reflectors.
... snip... View attachment 73986
Why does it have to be registered? Curious as I am here in Texas and was under the impression that as long as it has pedals, no registration/license/insurance was required.

Thanks,

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Varies by state and local, Otto. Only way to be sure is check with your DMV. LOL, and even then it will be unclear, confusing and frustrating. What I do is pick passages I like and cite those. My state has no speed limits or pedal requirement. NY, next door disallows em altogether but never bothered me. It's crazy and in a legally grey area up my way.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RS, Lookin' Goood!
Did ya clear coat the stickers? Can get fuel resistant spray can stuff.

Forgot! Brillo might not be a great first option. I use any sort of gojo shop hand cleaner. Put some on by hand and rub it around. (I let it sit for a while) Then just wipe of with a rag or paper towel. Brillo will leave scratches where grime and schmutz will collect easier and looks ruff. Just my VHO. Hand cleaner really works well. But I am sure there are other options, as well.

And, white walls are gonna need cleaning a lot. Kinda a PITB but looks so good when clean.

Seriously though. Bike is looking Good.

Last edited:

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Varies by state and local, Otto. Only way to be sure is check with your DMV. LOL, and even then it will be unclear, confusing and frustrating. What I do is pick passages I like and cite those. My state has no speed limits or pedal requirement. NY, next door disallows em altogether but never bothered me. It's crazy and in a legally grey area up my way.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RS, Lookin' Goood!
Did ya clear coat the stickers? Can get fuel resistant spray can stuff.

Forgot! Brillo might not be a great first option. I use any sort of gojo shop hand cleaner. Put some on by hand and rub it around. (I let it sit for a while) Then just wipe of with a rag or paper towel. Brillo will leave scratches where grime and schmutz will collect easier and looks ruff. Just my VHO. Hand cleaner really works well. But I am sure there are other options, as well.

And, white walls are gonna need cleaning a lot. Kinda a PITB but looks so good when clean.

Seriously though. Bike is looking Good.
Thanks Dan I will try out the hand cleaner method!

I haven't clear coated the stickers just because I'm going to let it sink in for a few days and make sure thats the design I want... I am waiting on the neighborhood skateshop to receive the blue spitfire stickers then I'm going to compare and see which one I like the most SFFBXSKBLU-1.jpg

I was thinking of making some kind of wood or sheet metal filler for the triangular part between the engine and gas tank (the area where some build custom tanks for board trackers) so that I can fill the empty space. If I decide to go with the new stickers I could then actually paint the word "spitfire" in some cool tattoo style letters to add to the theme.

Could anyone guide me on a thread for a filler for that area of the bike if you know of one? I have searched but no luck so far.

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
Why does it have to be registered? Curious as I am here in Texas and was under the impression that as long as it has pedals, no registration/license/insurance was required.

Thanks,
Otto, I never had issues while living in Austin but I just recently moved to LA and got pulled over within a month of riding so now I am getting legal.

You should try to see if you can mail in a money order and get it registered there just in case it can help you avoid issues in the future! .flg.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My bad! I didn't notice you both were from TX. Sorry for interrupting.
===============================================

RS, just a thought but you can magnetic printer "paper" at any office supply store. Then you can copy logos/pics, add captions and then can swap em out for what ever mood you and the bike are in. LOL, and they do have moods!

I made some for our host Paul but never sent em as he went with vinyl press ons.

Thing I like about em is ya can take em off for what ever, is not perminent and can get creative.

Lots of free programs and picture/designs to be had. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...US587US587&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=logo maker

Rollingstones

Apr 3, 2014
Los Angeles
I was not aware such paper existed another thing I will have to try!

Attempted the hand cleaner method for getting those white walls white again and I must say that I had better results with detergent and water! It still works well though but since I didn't have the hand cleaner I did have to spend a couple of bucks to try it out. No biggie though as I did need some hand cleaner. brnot

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

Attempted the hand cleaner method for getting those white walls white again and I must say that I had better results with detergent and water! It still works well though but since I didn't have the hand cleaner I did have to spend a couple of bucks to try it out. No biggie though as I did need some hand cleaner. brnot
I have herd that WD-40 works for cleaning them, although i haven't tried it so don't know for sure................Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Bummer about the hand cleaner. Hope I didn't give ya a bum steer. Your bike is so pristine, I imagine it has to be perfectly white to maintain your theme.

I wanted to double check, just now. I used Goop brand hand cleaner. Also tried WD 40 on another spot.

Goop came out good but not pure white. But I only rubbed it on and didn't really work it or wait to wipe it off.The WD came out almost as good but feels kinda dry. On a dark bike, looked good but every bit of brake dust and grease must show on your bike.

Am gonna try actual white wall cleaner just due to curiosity. LOL, when in doubt, I will try the right tool for the job.

Pics below, the top is Goop HC and smaller to the left spot is cleaned with WD.
Love doing these experiments. So much stuff to learn.

OH, and the magnet paper I have, did attach to the tank but not very strongly. It has been stuck to to a tool box in the garage for 2 years but as is, would blow right off a tank. Epic fail, so far.

Attachments

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Otto, I never had issues while living in Austin but I just recently moved to LA and got pulled over within a month of riding so now I am getting legal.

You should try to see if you can mail in a money order and get it registered there just in case it can help you avoid issues in the future! .flg.
Good advice. I will check into it.

Thanks...

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
My bad! I didn't notice you both were from TX. Sorry for interrupting.
===============================================

... snip ...QUOTE]

No problem Dan. There is a lot I need to learn about this hobby.

Thanks...