Sportsman Flyer Bonneville 2014

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
No fairings allowed for your class?
We may or may not throw a fairing on one of the bikes this year. The classes are there. Sometimes the partial streamline classes have similar or lower records than the same class non-streamline. To me it shows a properly fitted and functioning fairing, something that will also pass tech, is not as easy to design and install as it would seem.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Couple more updates. Here it is now with the engine installed and wheels and tires mounted. Tires are Pirelli MT66 80/90-21's on 21 x 1.6 motorcycle rims laced to my drum hubs. My brother Rich did a nice job putting these together. Thanks, Bro!

Bonneville Flyer #3 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

New style intake manifold with spigot adapter and 26mm Mikuni carb. These carbs are the way to go on a bigger GX200 build. No messing around, just straight up performance right out of the box. Remember that 25.4mm is 1" and the tubing I use is also 1" so the flow throught the carb and into the head is almost perfectly sized and only has one 90 degree turn. You can also see the SCTA required remote cutoff fuel valve and steering stabilizer.

I have revised the exhaust pipe as well. 1" directly into 1 1/2" then 2" tube. Also been getting the welding really dialed in on this thin wall stainless tube. TIG welded and purged for quality welds with full penetration. Pipe will get a removable baffle. Running the new intake with 26mm carb and fatter exhaust has really improved engine performance.

Here is a detail of the exhaust as it leaves the head. Really enjoying this build! Nice color and all the best parts.

Last edited:

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Your craftsmanship is peerless on this forum. High quality fabrication skills, you have.

You should be very proud, and I wish you all the best of luck with your record quest.

Gilbert

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Very close to being done. Still need graphics applied, flywheel cover installed. and primary guard finished up. Oh, and some safety wire here and there.

Looking at the sprockets shows how tall the gearing is. I bet it will cruise comfortably at 60 mph.

Locked out pedal crank and no pedal side chain, either. The SCTA will not allow a functional pedal crank. They also will not let a motorized bicycle run. I want people to see this bike for what it really is so I left the obvious bicycle components and still met the minimum requirements of the rules. This is now considered a motorcycle.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Basically ready to run. The race bikes sure take time to cover all the details....

Number 3 is now spending quality shop time with my record bike from last year, Bonneville Flyer chassis #5. Race bikes get kind of busy looking with all the required components, but these aren't beauty queens. The first thing we do is just ruin all the finishes with salt spray. Right now #5 carries a nice layer of patina from last year. Salt messes with EVERYTHING!

Bonneville Flyers by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here's one more picture. People were asking me whats in the tool box. On the race bikes that's were I run the oil catch can system. If there is any oil in the can it means I ran over 8,000 rpm. I try to keep from over reving the bikes and the best way to do that is with really tall gearing.

Last edited:

gfunk

Jul 29, 2012
Kansas
Truly inspirational bikes! Thanks for sharing. Do you have to modify the oil dipper on the connecting rod with the engine mounted at that angle?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Truly inspirational bikes! Thanks for sharing. Do you have to modify the oil dipper on the connecting rod with the engine mounted at that angle?
We do not modify the dipper and we have never suffered an oiling related engine failure. The real problem is oil control and getting to much up into the head and out the vent system. Run 22 oz. of oil and keep it below 8,000 rpm and my experience says you will not have a problem.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat,

I was wondering if you run your engines for a set period of time and at a set speed to break them in before you race.

Steve.
I start the engines up, adjust idle, then let them come up to temp. From there I shut them down and recheck all bolt torques. After that I throw on my riding gear while warming it back up and then ride the bikes for a few minutes through the mid range, then ride back to the shop and give the bike a complete going over. I take it easy for the first few rides then begin tuning. Tuning typically requires a full rpm pull to see if the carb and cam like each other, then it's business as usual.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Pat. I was wondering if you road tested them before you took them to the salt flats or if you had the use of a local track. I was thinking just how much fun it would be to get on it and ride for the first time. You know it's going to be great but the first ride makes it all happen.

A beautiful piece of rideable engineering.

Steve.