'50 Schwinn Panther Board Tracker

GoldenMotor.com

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
LONG time lurker, I've been curious about building a motored bike for years now. Just got this on eBay, should have it in a few days....I have been hesitant because I knew I didn't just wanna slap a kit and cheap black tank on just any old bike and the look of patina'd boardtrackers finally made me pull the trigger. Once I've got it in hand I'll take some good pics and I'm sure to have some questions....never messed with an old Schwinn before but it seems to me that all the frame will need is new bottom bracket and steer tube cups, and obviously a new crank and bearings....hoping I can leave the kickstand as is, and will probably get a new black/chrome springer. I'll definitely have some questions and that's why I joined, hoping to have something noisy and just fast enough sometime next spring.

50 frame by Nesto2008, on Flickr

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
dnut Yomalope, nice frame! a tank from Sportscarpat makes every Panther / Hornet Schwinn look fabulous. here are some pics of mine

I currently have 2 one blue & another Green

Welcome to the forum! have fun with it.
Thanks, yeah I'm definitely planning on getting one of his tanks....yours are nice, love the green! If I had a frame that had been stripped and/or repainted I'd definitely go with new paint or powdercoat but the finish on this one is like the lacquer on an old Telecaster....well loved but not abused and I'm hoping to keep it that way!

Also I wasn't aware he had the fake oil tank for Panthers, I thought he only did them for Worksman frames....may have to budget for that!!

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. I also have a 50 Panther frame and it remains my favorite bike with a great look, well made and proportions that feel just right as I ride it. A great foundation for a classic build. Have fun with the build, ask questions and share pictures.
SB

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Welcome to the forum. I also have a 50 Panther frame and it remains my favorite bike with a great look, well made and proportions that feel just right as I ride it. A great foundation for a classic build. Have fun with the build, ask questions and share pictures.
SB
Thanks, may I see?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My pleasure.

1950 Schwinn Panther which I call "American Flyer" which is on the head badge and the decal on the gas tank. Front fork is a Suzuki K-10, headlight is made from a Harbor Freight dune buggy light, engine is a 99 cc Predator four stroke, transmission is a Q-matic. Hub adapter is Manic Mechanic. Sidecar was made from a Grumman canoe, shortened and narrowed up quite a lot. My biker babe is Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog.

This is a fun, reliable ride which gets lots of smiles and waves.

I'm in the middle of doing a little upgrade to a better carburetor for next spring. but that's it.

The winter project is a 1951 Schwinn cantilever frame with a 147cc Jacobsen 2 stroke and a belt final drive. Build thread is "Kindalikeawhizzer".

The building has become every bit as much fun as the riding. Enjoy yours and be sure to share what you're doing. Good luck!
SB

Attachments

yumalope

Nov 19, 2013
Yuma, AZ
Oh that's very cool....I'm shooting for the lay down on top board track bikes like sportscarpat's Sportsman Flyers, excited to have finally pulled the trigger!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
First, she's a good-natured dog who wants to please. Second, I used something with big lenses to make her doggles so that they weren't uncomfortable. Third, she knows that's part of the deal... if you don't wear your doggles then you can't go riding in the sidecar.

Summer riding in northern Minnesota means riding through bugs in the air... mosquitoes, nats and such and the worst is getting hit in the eye by a dragonfly. That could blind her or me, so we wear eye protection.
SB

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Oops,, Pushed the wrong button.

Yes,,, Thant is the worksman oil tank. The trick is to have the rear wheel all the way back in the dropouts. There is only 1/4" or less clearence for the tire though

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I think a whizzer looks best, a 3hp and smaller Briggs will fit, a HF 79 will fit, not sure but it may look good if it will fit vertical.