did a springer fork

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I think I finally got it right. The go-kart caliper came sooner than I expected. They would like for it to be full-floating in transverse slots, but I decided it wasn't necessary if the bracket has a bit of flexability. I selected a long piece of 3/32" sheet metal(approx.) for the bracket and welded it to a half-tube that fits the upper 1-3/8" fork leg tube. For a template I used a campaign sign from Jim Bridenstine's Rep. campaign. Great stuff and his are mostly white. The half-tube is secured with SS radiator clamps. I origionally intended to make the bracket from block magnesium, but diidn't want it rigid nor the fire hazard associated with machining it. It seems to operate with running clearance and clamps up with little movement. I got to use some hangar-queens like the hand held power band saw in the vice to finish the cuts on the bracket I couldn't complete on the chopsaw freehand. Also the bike brake cable clamp was a bit small for the 0.065" cable so I "drilled" it out with a conveniently sized carbide burr in the Dremal. Also the ultra-hard lever on the caliper which wouldn't quite receive the cable clamp and drill letter "i" wouldn't cut it. (literally) I don't think it would lock the wheel, but who cares? I is a very good brake that brings to my attention I need to go to a good bike shop and get a set of compatable bearings and races The return spring is hooked to a hole in a washer on the axle. The cable housing has clear vinyl tubing on it to protect from water as it is in not the greatest condition. I may have the bracket powder coated silver or yellow later. For now may just spray silver wheel rattlecan on it.dnut

Attachments

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Put a 20" bike fender on to keep slop off motor. Not lovely, but adequate. It won't foul the wheel I think.. I had to approximate a parabola by freehand and bend the 5/16" rod around a wood buck. Close but no cigar. Fender is secured with 2 J-bolts. Half-tubes straddle the fork legs secured with SS radiator hose clamps (Found that 10 are only $2.95 where 2 are $2.49 at Autozone)

Attachments

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Put a 20" bike fender on to keep slop off motor. Not lovely, but adequate. It won't foul the wheel I think.. I had to approximate a parabola by freehand and bend the 5/16" rod around a wood buck. Close but no cigar. Fender is secured with 2 J-bolts. Half-tubes straddle the fork legs secured with SS radiator hose clamps (Found that 10 are only $2.95 where 2 are $2.49 at Autozone)
nice Saab Sonnet in the background.

Also, nice method of fender attachment. I'm going to have to do something similar so will keep this idea in mind.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I am giving up. I lost the first LONG post because it said I had to be logged in, but had said Thank you for LOGGING IN, Trackfodder. The 2nd attempt just DISAPPEARED. I am sure the muddyrater won't alow me to fully express my displesure at this crap. If interested in it send your email to [email protected] and will detail and provide pix I can't show here as they have already been run before. See if you can find "Building a Practical and Safe Motorbike" in search here. It covers this and a few others as well as reminiscing about our growing up with motorikes in the 40's-50's. Re. the Shimano. It has a coaster brake, the Tulsa guy, G.Oscar, says they are a bit more rugged, and they only have 3/8" shift travel, which puts my shift control out . Sure gettin disenchanted with this forum. Off to bed.:-||

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am giving up. I lost the first LONG post because it said I had to be logged in, but had said Thank you for LOGGING IN, Trackfodder. The 2nd attempt just DISAPPEARED. I am sure the muddyrater won't alow me to fully express my displesure at this crap. If interested in it send your email to [email protected] and will detail and provide pix I can't show here as they have already been run before. See if you can find "Building a Practical and Safe Motorbike" in search here. It covers this and a few others as well as reminiscing about our growing up with motorikes in the 40's-50's. Re. the Shimano. It has a coaster brake, the Tulsa guy, G.Oscar, says they are a bit more rugged, and they only have 3/8" shift travel, which puts my shift control out . Sure gettin disenchanted with this forum. Off to bed.:-||
Here it is http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=4152 Sounds like you are still haveing computer troubles? I just got done empting and rebooting mine.............Curt