Btr v1

GoldenMotor.com

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Tough looking ride, great stance. Real good looking build going there.

Oh, and heed Culver's advice on the upper mount, the big 200's need substantial mounts, otherwise the motor will tear up the frame. Those beasts are torque monsters.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Awesome looking bike!
I'd invest in a good hydraulic front disc brake. That's a lot of bike to stop only with a rear brake especially with a cvt. Top speed is definitely over 50mph.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Wow, first post with a very nice bike.

scotto was the last racer to use a CVT with a 212 cc but he finally gave
up on it for a chain primary.
AGK never really got his 200 cc and CVT to work without chewing up belts.
If you are just putting around the CVT should be OK?

a.g.

Dec 23, 2012
Utah
I'll take your advice on the top mount, I'm sure I'd regret not doing so. I was also planning on making a front mount utilizing the old tank mounts. I was hoping to avoid using a front brake to conserve the bikes looks, that's why I have two drums on the back, but given the small size of the rear tire the brakes will probably just lock up easier. The rear hub is several pieces milled out of half inch then bolted together, there is more pictures on the link I provided. Thanks for your advice and compliments.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think you will be fine with the CVT, we have two BTR and enjoy the operation of the CVT on a street bike. We do not have any belt issues. Keep us posted on the progress of the bike. CCC

a.g.

Dec 23, 2012
Utah
Not having a front brake does worry me, it would be easy to put a disc brake on the front but I'm afraid it would look out of place. The other option would be to put a drum brake on front like worksman front hub but I haven't found a good source for those yet. Would a bicycle disc brake be that effective?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I know it’s a aesthetic compromise, but if you plan to ride a lot a front brake really is asset.

I first used a vintage Tomos moped hub and while it had somewhat good stopping power the stamped metal cover wasn’t up for the task and eventually warped enough to bind and grind.

I just finished upgrading to a Yamaha DT100/250 hub and finally truly feel safe going down a steep hill or if needed: stopping quick.

Several other builders here have been using similar hubs from small Honda dirt bikes. Common, inexpensive, ugly, but safe!

Even most of the riders on the Cannon Ball runs were loading up their original antique bikes with some sort of front brake.

On the other hand if you don’t have hills to deal with or don’t plan to ride it much...?

-Kirk

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I like the smaller drum brake from the puch mopeds and the key to getting a good stopping ratio from the brake is a thicker cable from a motor cycle, the thinner cables stretch, giving a mushy less effective braking distance, where the thicker cable is more rigid with less stretch giving a faster response to stopping power.

If you stand back and look at the bike,it is a powerful looking machine and the brake in front will not detour from the looks of the bike,you could even add a numbder plate on both sides to hide the drum but like I said there is alot going on for the eye to get fixated on a front brake.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If you plan to ride it often fit a front brake, if not I'd also run brake less on the front got looks. That's just my $0.02.

I really really like your bike so far. Very nice

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Yep, brakes up front, gotta do it. The 200's are fast, and a properly built frame stout enough to hold one will be heavy. Big power + big weight = big brakes. It's the only way to fly.

a.g.

Dec 23, 2012
Utah
I'm working on the foot controlls now, I'll post pictures once they're done. Looking at the front brakes from a mechanical perspective, I really like the idea of using a disc brakes. where I live there are lots of hills and I,d like others to be able to ride this bike without worrying about their safety. would a hydraulic disc brake off of a mountain bike be effective on a bike this size?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
A hydraulic disc brake will be more then adequate for stopping. Especially if the brake is a beefier downhill brake setup.

The real question is do you really need or want a disc setup on that beautiful bike. A front drum brake off a moped probably won't have as much stopping power, but should be adequate, and a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

I built my Villiers bike with only a rear disc brake, not because of the added stopping power, but because it was built on a very tight budget and disc brake mountain bike wheels were the cheapest quality wheel I could get. As happy as I am with my bike the disc brake setup often bothers me and its something if like to change. I bought a vintage style band brake to fit to the rear wheel to replace the disc setup........ Just something to think about, if I were you I'd consider a drum brake moped front hub.