Hoglet V-twin engine

GoldenMotor.com

Indianfan

May 31, 2012
Hungary
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, but I built my first BTR. Indian, chinese engine, built for everyday use. Prepared to build another one.
As I am getting into this more and more, want to refine things more and more.
You know the feeling....
Now I decided, I wanna try a hoglet V-twin. I know it's been debated before, just can't find the thread.
I almost bought the Jerry Howell plan, but I like the hoglet look much better. The only problem is, can't get a hold of the plan set. Contacted Model Engine Builder Magazine for back issues, where they published the plans, but no answer so far. This magazine exists still?
Anyone has copies of issues 10 and 11? I would pay for it, just wanna start it ASAP.
I have some tooling, but I am in a process of putting a small professional team together to fab this engine within a short time.

Thx
Indianfan

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I bought the Howell print set. They are fine for a hobbyist but I wouldn't submit them to any machine shop that I work with (mainly formatting like dimensioning to hidden lines and redundant dimensions, or multiple parts on one sheet). The design is for a 32cc as well so it's smaller than I'd like. My plan is to redraw the prints as they are to get more familiar with the Howell design and then upscale the design to 50cc. I would like to use an existing Honda or B&S crank to lower the cost a little and lower the risks of the motor coming apart at higher rpm's. Also ordered an Indian V-Twin Power Plus 100 manual so that I can tweak the aesthetics. Not sure if I'll go all billet parts or if I'll get a few investment castings made but I'll probably get them quoted both ways. the plans show how to make you own springs and gears but I'm certain that I'll be sourcing those instead. I work slow so I'll get to watch your progress. Good luck!

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I've been giving this more thought and two things come to mind. First is that when I looked at the hoglet thread I liked the aesthetics more as well. The reason I didn't go that way is for the same reason I like the look. A lot of the functional parts of the engine are exposed. Great for a display model, not so much for a bike that will see the road. I want to change up the looks of the Howell (especially the fans and shrouds) and there are some nice examples on the site as a start.

The second thing that came to mind is that if there is a way to combine efforts so that we can both get what we want at a better cost then I'm interested. I am a partner in an engineering consulting business with a CAD station on my desk. Let me know what you think.

Indianfan

May 31, 2012
Hungary
Hi Guys,

Got hold of the magazine's editorial staff, ordered the mentioned issues. Takes couple of weeks til I get it.
Thanks for the offer! I have to go over the plans first and sit down with the other guys, see what we have to modify, to make it really work in a BTR. I am thinking about upscaling it to 50cc as well. The current 32cc sounds a bit small, but never know...
What I found out so far: castings are mega expensive here in Hungary, so for now it is not an alternative. The first engine will be manufactured on a lathe and mill. If all goes well and there's a demand for more, CNC is the way to go.

In the meantime I will be experimenting with different engines. One will be a 50 cc, two stroke pocket bike engine, the other a Honda/Lifan single cyl, 4 stroke 50cc.

One thing is not really clear for me. I read on different forums, that these small engines run on alcohol, Coleman camp stove fuel etc. Why not straight unleaded? Am I missing something?

Keep hoggin
Indianfan

Last edited:

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
siple answer is these engines are usually displayed and run indoors petrol feums and exhaust indoors not good indoor lamp fuel /alcohol is not as bad ,,if it has a spark plug it shoud run on petrol ken

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
Hi Guys,

Got hold of the magazine's editorial staff, ordered the mentioned issues. Takes couple of weeks til I get it.
Thanks for the offer! I have to go over the plans first and sit down with the other guys, see what we have to modify, to make it really work in a BTR. I am thinking about upscaling it to 50cc as well. The current 32cc sounds a bit small, but never know...
What I found out so far: castings are mega expensive here in Hungary, so for now it is not an alternative. The first engine will be manufactured on a lathe and mill. If all goes well and there's a demand for more, CNC is the way to go.

In the meantime I will be experimenting with different engines. One will be a 50 cc, two stroke pocket bike engine, the other a Honda/Lifan single cyl, 4 stroke 50cc.

One thing is not really clear for me. I read on different forums, that these small engines run on alcohol, Coleman camp stove fuel etc. Why not straight unleaded? Am I missing something?

Keep hoggin
Indianfan
We are looking forward to see your Honda/Lifan powered bike!
Please look at this:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36428

Indianfan

May 31, 2012
Hungary
I've been giving this more thought and two things come to mind. First is that when I looked at the hoglet thread I liked the aesthetics more as well. The reason I didn't go that way is for the same reason I like the look. A lot of the functional parts of the engine are exposed. Great for a display model, not so much for a bike that will see the road. I want to change up the looks of the Howell (especially the fans and shrouds) and there are some nice examples on the site as a start.

The second thing that came to mind is that if there is a way to combine efforts so that we can both get what we want at a better cost then I'm interested. I am a partner in an engineering consulting business with a CAD station on my desk. Let me know what you think.
I got the plan set. First thing I noticed, it's an open crank case. So, have to come up with a lid, to keep dust out, oil in. Second, Randall says, it's for demo only, not intended to do any serious work or powering a bike. Hmmmm.... 38cc, 1" bore, 1 1/2" stroke. Any thoughts on this, anyone? I don't wanna make a costly mistake, by building it and not be able to use it.

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
HaroldB, Indianfan,

Have you seen my post regarding mini v-twins & mini singles, Tim Seeber in San Diego, California has scale mini's for sale they are reproductions of Original Harley & Indian v-twins they are expensive only $ 7,500.00 USD.

Maybe he'll sale copies of his mini scale v-twin drawings, that can be copied in your shops.

Just thought I'd mention this to you guys.

See my thread: 1/2 scale mini v-twins & singles.

C.H.

I got the plan set. First thing I noticed, it's an open crank case. So, have to come up with a lid, to keep dust out, oil in. Second, Randall says, it's for demo only, not intended to do any serious work or powering a bike. Hmmmm.... 38cc, 1" bore, 1 1/2" stroke. Any thoughts on this, anyone? I don't wanna make a costly mistake, by building it and not be able to use it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
How big would you go for an engine, would you buy one in? Honda and Yamaha both make 125cc V twins. I think Hyosung do one as well.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi I'm using the Virago XV250 on my build....we dont have any XV125cc here in Australia... but they are the same size unit as a 250cc...I looked into building my own engine but the cost for casting put me off it..could have machined every thing but it would probally take me a year the way I work these days ..and there is no guarantee that it would be reliable...the XV250 isn't a big unit ..its about 20HP revs to 8000 has a 3.5-1 primary reduction before the gear box and a 5 speed gearbox ..the output chain is 520 in pitch....the output sprockets are available from 12 -18 T...The only thing is hiding the electrics on the modern engines....DD

Attachments

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
Hi I'm using the Virago XV250 on my build....we dont have any XV125cc here in Australia... but they are the same size unit as a 250cc...I looked into building my own engine but the cost for casting put me off it..could have machined every thing but it would probally take me a year the way I work these days ..and there is no guarantee that it would be reliable...the XV250 isn't a big unit ..its about 20HP revs to 8000 has a 3.5-1 primary reduction before the gear box and a 5 speed gearbox ..the output chain is 520 in pitch....the output sprockets are available from 12 -18 T...The only thing is hiding the electrics on the modern engines....DD
whats its dementions and how much does it weigh ?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I think the 125cc V-Twin Honda was marketed in England as the Varadero but was not available in the states nor as a Rebel either. Too bad. That'd be just right for me.