Bidwell Pusher 2012

GoldenMotor.com

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Old Post by me:

Well my first introduction into electric anything will be the Bidwell bike pusher. I have these rare detailed plans and after reading them I will try to bring it up to date from 2003 to 2012. I would say the only difference would be the motor and electronics and some minor tweaks here and there.

I will post more as I progress with the build.

Anyone else out there do a Bidwell pusher?

P.S. The picture below is what the pusher is to look like from the plans.

Attachments

Last edited:

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Well I now join the ranks of the electric powered world. I have just completed and tested the newly improved 2012 Bidwell bike pusher. A lot has changed since that model came out in 2003 - 2006 and bringing up to date was a bit of a challenge but I did it. All I can say is what a fun fun fun way to ride the wind!

The old was a 24v 400w configuration and I took it to 36v with a 600watt motor. Was told that it was outputing around 900watts in the 36v config. Incredible low end torque and top end speed. I mount the batteries in a battery box on top of a plywood top that also carries some of the weight of the motor. In the picture I am charging the batteries so they are not there but I will get a pic of when I am on the road.

Now my drive testing isn't complete....I live in flat lands Florida and need to see what some hills do to this puppy! But from what I can tell it does have the power to deliver.

I know the picture are hard to tell because I painted everything black but I will take some better pictures when I have everything hooked up and ready to go!

Attachments

Last edited:

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Ok so I have been riding the wind now for a couple of weeks with the newly designed pusher and I must say it is a bunch of fun!

I went with the Currie throttle and controller which I think was bit overkill on the protective circuitry but if you don't beat on the pusher it performs.

I am 250lbs and it has no problems pushing me! I have rode up 20-30deg hills from a dead stop and no problem with the low end torque getting me up the hill.

So far the only time I had the over protected Currie controller kicks in is when I am in full throttle (speedometer on order) and running open for 30sec when "cut". My guess is that I am between 25mph and 30mph when I have to unplug the battery connector and then re-attach and I am back off and going. A bit of a pain but I understand that it will increase the longevity of the motor. It also kicks in when I gun it at from a dead stop to full throttle and it will also cut on me.

I do have another controller here but I am sure that this is common with this manufacture.

Other than that it is so much fun....

Last edited:

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Ok max speed results are in with the arrival of the speedometer. 25mph! Which is perfect. A 15t front sprocket and a 90t rear seems to be good enough for me. Next will be the max distance travel with 3 - 12ah batteries on flat pavement and then onto hills...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bet folks wonder how your going that fast with such a low profile pusher and no engine sound.

Purty cool Steve

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Hahaha you bet...I have people in cars and other watchers on the sidelines take a double look and I mess with them by pedaling backwards!

I have three 12ah batteries in a 36v config and I am seeing how long of a ride I can get out of them. I am finding that if I go all out between 20 and 25mph I can get about 6-8 miles but if I go around 10mph (which is a good bike speed) I can go to a max of 20 miles! So I would say average would be about 12 miles if I combine the best of all speed worlds!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I do the back pedal thing too when folks are trying to figure out what the engine noise and speed on a bike are.

Be really funny to have a stand on pusher like a Segway and have a manikin pushing you.

Some thing removable. LOL, a giant clown doing the royal or parade wave like your towing a VIP.

Dangit, now I wanna build one.

Last edited:

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
hahaha I love the bike link you got...I am a motor head also but the only legal way I can get onto the bike trails with the family is to go electric...not a bad and legal way to get around without the fuzz gettn on my case!

I now have a huge front basket on the bike to hold the dog! I just need to finish up the cooler onto the pusher and I will be all set!

Pics a comin soon...

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Ok..here is the fully decked out electric ride...Everything is module. I can remove the basket off the front when not carrying the dog and also the carrying crate with the cooler in it and the whole crate mount also off the pusher. So depending on what and where I ride a fully versatile machine!!

Now I am ready for my ventures! Off I go to ride the wind!

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That really looks cool Steve. Very neat an' tidy while utilitarian.

Ya got me thinking about cutting the front half of an old gokart I bought a few years back and never got around to doing any thing with.

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Keeping the thread alive with a 2021 update: After 9 years and my bike pusher is STILL going strong! Haven't been around the forums awhile but just checking in. Since 2017 I still using those upgraded the SLA batteries 3-12v 35ah being sure to top them off from time to time and so far I have been having so much fun. Back in 2012...what laws! Now I see laws popping up with Classes and power bla bla bla. I love what 10 years has done to this Ebike industry very cool tech but with that comes those hefty prices! Sure my creation isn't for off roading, built for cruising and a bit clunky but to get from here to there, no pedaling and way cheaper/powerful than any crappy new ebike is why I still love using this thing.

Reactions: fasteddy