Motorized bicycle trivia...

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Hope this thread can start some interesting trivia regarding motorized bicycles, which might spark some ideas and possibly emergency fixes. :)

Here's one:

Did you know the diameter of a standard bicycle axle is the same as the diameter of the piston pin of an HT engine? It's 10mm...

Hmmm... maybe those axle spacers can be used to replace the needle bearings... maybe worth a try... I wonder...

Then again, something else might break... maybe the piston or the connecting rod...

The Berry

Jul 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hope this thread can start some interesting trivia regarding motorized bicycles, which might spark some ideas and possibly emergency fixes. :)
I like this. Lets see...

- 2 Stroke engines can work in any orientation, so you can fix it to a bike in any angle you wish. However, do consider the carb, because if they sit at too much an angle, the float bowl might not work properly.

- 4 Stroke engines are more efficient then 2 Strokes because of their valves. The timing of the valves and piston allows fresh fuel into a cylinder without letting any into the exhaust before it is all burned - meaning no unburned fuel ended up in the exhaust. 2 Strokes don't have valves, and allow fresh fuel into the cylinder with an exhaust port that is exposed for a fraction of a second - meaning some fuel never gets used.

- Because some unburnt fuel makes it to the exhaust of 2 Strokes, they rely on the back-pressure of a pipe in the exhaust system to scavenge some of that unburned fuel back into the cylinder. (not sure of the exact terminology here)

- The more oil you add to gas, the leaner your fuel to air ratio will be since oil displaced what would be gas in the mix. This does not necessarily mean you will run hotter with more oil, because oil does have a slight cooling effect on the engine - reduction of friction which generates heat.

- Motorized bikes weigh a bit more then regular, fully dedicated, pedal bikes, (my motorbike weighs about 65 lbs while my non-motorized mountain bike weights a little under 20). Motorized bikes can travel faster then regular bikes, thus the extra weight and greater speed adds more momentum to the overall object. This makes motorized bikes harder to stop since most bike brakes are not really made to deal with the extra momentum. This especially goes for rim brakes.

...That's all I got for now...