** Carb Grabs at Start **

GoldenMotor.com

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
**This could be that it has nothing to do with the carb at all, that it is just harder for the engine to ignite the cold air-fuel mixture with a cold cylinder and piston. I might be expecting it to just fire right up when it can't while it is cold ( in Oregon it hasn't gotten much above 55 degrees ), being impatient might be the problem**

First, I have looked through the topics on here searching for this exact issue and was unable to locate an answer, so here goes: My bike has been done for less than a week now. I am running the typical 80/66cc Grubee Skyhawk. I replaced the Chinese spark plug that came with the kit with a NGK one.

My problem is that the first time that I try to start the bike ( only when it is a cold start ie starting it the next day ) I have the choke set right, the gas is on...I get good peddling speed, let go of the clutch and give it some gas...it begins to chug. Now not " that the motor is having problems kind of chug " but that the clutch is grabbing king of chug. Then it dies and I end up wearing myself out repeating this process over and over again until finally it does what it should have the first time, lights up and goes.

Is it just because it is cold and nothing more serious??

Thanks...Eric

usflg

Last edited:

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
What oil ratio are you using? A new engine should use roughly 24:1 of regular 2-cycle oil. It'll be harder to start an engine that's got more oil in the fuel, because the oil doesn't ignite. If you're using the "manual spec" of 16:1, that might be the problem right there.

Make sure your head nuts are torqued, and that your spark plug is snug. Low compression will make for hard starting and bad running.

You might also consider holding down the primer button on the carb (if it's an NT) for a couple of seconds before starting.

Apart from those things, I wouldn't worry about it. My first bike has roughly 500 miles on it, and it takes a bit to start when the engine is cold
I am using a break-in ratio of 16:1 for the first few tanks ( I just went through the first tank yesterday ). Then I will switch to 20:1 to 24:1.

Thanks for the advice and tips. I will do all those...glad to know that this is a problem that is common. This is my first motorized bike so I am being real anal-retentive about everything *lol* Thanks again!!!

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Switch up to 24:1 right now for a gallon or so, then go to 32: 1. The ratios stated in the kit instructions are way too oily.

Edit: But do be a stickler about accurately measuring your oil ratio. I cringe any time I hear someone say, "Oh I just put some oil into some gas, I don't know how much of either."
Oh most certainly I am very anal-retentive on the measurements. No eye-balling it here. Thank you for all your advice and tips.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Vintage, I would suggets that you make sure your choke is working. I had a similar problem getting mine started at first. Once I did get it started I tried the choke, which should bog it down, and it didn't. The choke wasn't working in the first place. I opened up the carb and saw that the choke wasn't moving back and forth across the intake like it should. Tightened up the screw and put some locktite on it. Haven't touched it in over two years. Good luck. Dan

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Vintage, I would suggets that you make sure your choke is working. I had a similar problem getting mine started at first. Once I did get it started I tried the choke, which should bog it down, and it didn't. The choke wasn't working in the first place. I opened up the carb and saw that the choke wasn't moving back and forth across the intake like it should. Tightened up the screw and put some locktite on it. Haven't touched it in over two years. Good luck. Dan
Dan, thanks for this tip. I was thinking that it might be this issue as well.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yeah, don't worry too much about the hard starting problem when cold. Here in NY, when it's cold outside, I hafta pedal almost a whole block before she ignites, when it's warm outside, only a few feet. With a warmed-up engine, ignition is almost immediate.

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Yeah, don't worry too much about the hard starting problem when cold. Here in NY, when it's cold outside, I hafta pedal almost a whole block before she ignites, when it's warm outside, only a few feet. With a warmed-up engine, ignition is almost immediate.
That is what I am thinking as well. That plus the issue that I am running a gas mixture of 16:1...which now I have found out it way to rich for the engine. Once I get that gallon of gas done, I will switch to a higher ratio. Thanks for responding!