broken bolts

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
one of my engine mounts fell off and i looked and half the bolt broke off and the other half is in my engine where the bolt screws in but how do i get em out?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You will need a good drill and bit, and an E-Z Out available at Sears, Napa, or just about any auto parts store.

Is it broken off flush, or way down inside?

You may want to try a left hand drill bit of about 3/4 the size of you bolt to be extracted if it's down in there a ways.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If there is any still sticking out of the engine one method is to use a Dremel Tool with a cutoff wheel. Make a screwdriver slot and unscrew it with a screwdriver. Of course this requires that there is at least 1/8" protruding. Some had had luck welding something to the end of the broken stud but this is a job only for a very good welder. Use extreme caution with this method because you can ruin an otherwise good motor. Otherwise use Joe's advice and use a centerpuch to get the drill started in the center of the broken stud. And...start with a NEW drill bit or one that you know is sharp.
Good luck.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
it broke flush
Murphy's Law says they usually will.
So now take Joe's advice. Go buy a good quality drill bit, not some cheap POS bargin tool from Wally World or Harbor Freight, but a high quality bit, and drill the broken stud out. No big deal. The hardest part is getting the drill centered so it doesn't wander off into the aluminum casting. That's what the center punch is for. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Pay very close attention to the center punch and get the hole drilled dead center. Its so easy to get off center very important. Use care to center punch it well. This is the best recommended way

There is a slight trade off to approach here with the bolt being broken flush. If you use a cut off wheel use a small wore out one or a small dremel cutoff wheel around the size off a silver dollar or so. [less narf marks cutting a groove right at the bolt] You will get a slight groove mark on the block doing it but then a flat blade screw driver will work it out.

Then check out using better grade bolts. I like the cap bolts. Here is a link. Or find something locally. Good luck! Its do able just be patient.. Sick Bike Parts

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
IF you are going to the hassle of drilling, don't use an ordinary right hand drill bit. Get a left hand bit. Set your drill to "R". Get it well centered. What will happen - at worst you will drill a hole in the remaining stud, which you can get out*.....or best the stud will unscrew with the drilling.

Of course the bit should be smaller than the stud.

* I have NEVER in my 35 years of wrenching never had luck with easy outs and their like. They are just too brittle. They break in the hole and you are screwed....well not entirely - next comes my secret weapon. Diamond tipped bits for the Dremel type tool. Once you have a hole drilled, or an easy out broken, or in a real pinch, just get 4 or 5 (maybe 2) ball shaped bits, and carefully go for it. Takes a little time. But has never failed me.