Sad realization :(

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ask questions and guys where will help you out. The very first bike I ever built, I broke a ring and seized the engine before it ever fired. This forum didn't exist but Norman took pity on me on the other one and helped me through replacing the ring. To me that was a big deal. He was the only one who would help me over there.

Norm, Ilikeabike, and I came over here to this forum near the beginning and it has become the place to be for a new builder. All the guys who will help you just for the pure fun of helping another human being are right here. Venice, bike guy joe, norm and a whole lot of others are people who know and want to help, so get a wrench and take the darn thing apart. BUT ask questions when you aren't a 100% sure. There are no stupid questions, just those that weren't asked and answered.

ps I still can't take one of those smokers apart lol...

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
the forum will guide you. I busted a ring once and that forced me to take the jug off, now i balance cranks and port engines with no problem. (actually, stripping the crank case screws is a pretty big problem, but you know what i mean)

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
There actually quite simple, There are very few parts actually so you could try teaching yourself like I did, like Venice said there aint nothing but to do it. Once you start taking it apart you'll realize you can pretty much remember what goes where and usually quite easy to identify what the problem is once you've got it apart.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
If you have a digital camera take pics as you tear it down and they will help you putting it back together.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
like everyone else say, it's easy once you get into it.

before i got into this, i never touched a 2 stroke motor except to mow a lawn once or twice in my life. i've rebuilt motors on cars before, so i had a lot of experience with how things should work, but i was a little leery the first time i ripped one of these apart, but pay attention, learn the basic principals, read up on the engine tear downs on this forum, check out Graham Bell's 2 stroke performance book (available as a PDF online) and whatever else it takes.

these motors are about the simplest internal combustion engine you'll ever find, and with a little effort and a scraped knuckle or two, it's easy...

fernando66cc

Feb 4, 2010
California, Orange county
Thanks guys. Well I opened one of my used up engines and well I managed to get through most of the bolts and gears. The only problem is that I don't know the name of each individual parts. is their a link to the names? Thanks again for the recomendations! :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Naming parts is easy, just name what they do/and/or connect to.
I am sure someone will correct you gently if you get too off the wall with your names.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
If you have a digital camera take pics as you tear it down and they will help you putting it back together.
Great advice. And if you can't photo it just make a crude drawing. Masking tape works good to label or mark parts too ... for instance, on bigger motors you can label one end of a vaccum hose "A" and lable the part it conects to "A" ... then to reassmble just conect the "A"s. I helped my Dad rebuild a car engine once and we had lettered masking tape tabs all over the thing. It trys your patience when you're labeling the parts but you're very thankful when it comes time to put everything back together.