Reading Standard 1911 replica

GoldenMotor.com

valkboy

Jun 24, 2009
boston
Hey everyone,
I have started building a replaica of a 1911 Reading Standard, including the engine. The first frame is almost complete and in the photo shows the dummy engine and 26 inch wheels. The final will have the 28/700 ones that were on the original.

I have made the frame from various sizes of 0.12 wall dom tubing and tig welding.

I will keep this post updated.

Attachments

valkboy

Jun 24, 2009
boston
thanks, I should have the seat tube and forks done by monday. I have a Brookes saddle for it that looks like the original. Even Brookes handle grips...

Did you know that Reading had the first side valve engine with a cam operated inlet valve. Indian stole thier head engineer two years later and Harley did not copy it until almost 20 years later?

Valkboy.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
This will be one to watch. Please Please post lots of pictures as you go. very nice Valkboy this will be one of the rarer ground up builds that are posted here. Dmar has built a nice Cyclone replica.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Nice work!

It wasn't easy to find pics of a 1911 Reading Standard.

Last edited:

valkboy

Jun 24, 2009
boston
man...where did you find these..I wish I had thoswbefore..They really have helpedmeout...and given me morework...

Thanks alot, this willbe a great help.

Valkboy.

Owen W.

Sep 7, 2010
New York
Great Project!!!!

I bought a Reading Standard a while ago and have been looking for info which is hard to find!!! I was told that the bike was a 1911 so I "Googled" 1911 Reading Standard the other night and it brought me right to you.

I was thrilled to see your work and the photos posted by "Clotho". His bike shots are great and they lead me to believe that my bike is a 1911 as the details all look right. Just can't figure out the depressed area in the right side of the fuel tank.

My bike had been complete and running before it was disassembled for restoration many years ago. I purchased it in a million pieces but it appears that most of the bike is here.

The restored shots gave me a lot of direction. Wish there were more detail shots of pedal assemblies and a full right side view!

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Attachments