fiddling around with the 22mm mikuni

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I was detecting a slight mid range miss with the throttle open about 1/3rd under light load. A slight throttle increase would cause it to go away. I replaced my plug and plug wire to see if it would go away. It didn't. I checked for an intake plenem leak by spraying starter fluid around it while running. No changes. My spark plug checks have always been fine, but it may have been on the lower edge of lean. My main jet was drilled/enlarged to 1.28mm with my jet needle at the lower most notch for the richest setting. It was apparently not enough so I enlarged the needle jet to 1.55 and took for a test ride/plug check. It was a darker cream color but still on the light side. The miss was still there but not as bad as before, so I was heading in the right direction. I couldn't raise the needle jet any more so I did some research and found a really simple fix. If you are at the upper limit in notches on the jet needle just put a tiny washer or two under the c-clip to raise it even more. This was the ticket. It didn't occur to me to add a washer to raise the needle. My plug readings are a richer cream color, power is up, and the miss is gone. It is amazing what such small adjustments can do to run quality. I think the cooler weather in conjunction with the higher humidity caused a pre-exsisting condition to become more apparent. It was always there but I just didn't notice it.

Last edited: