Amphibious bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

bertoaus

May 13, 2012
Maastricht NL
This bicycle is at least motorized on the water with a DIY inboard motor.The aim of this project is to create an amphibious bicycle from stuff you can find at your local hardware store. I use common tools, so no welding or big machinery. Another goal is that everyone can use his or her own bicycle to make it amphibious. The conversion time, from land to water is not more than 7 minutes; the same for the opposite direction. Beside universal applicable the construction is simple, save and cheap; about 100 dollar.
This project sound's easy; it's not. When it was that simple, we could buy an amphibious bike in the local cycleshop. This video show's enough information to make one for your own. In the water Berto's Amphi-Cycle will be propelled by a new version of the simple outboard motor. With a cordless drill and with an extra 12V battery. I found out that other ways of propelling are too complex and expensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKN20Vc4bnE

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I like the self contained going from land to water idea.

Also I checked out the bubbles you make with more than just soapy water. I watched my dad make soap solution with natural gas to inflate the bubbles for students and at physics show to see. They rise up lighter than air and then are lit from underneath with extend length flame. Instructional or art, I have seen it again using heavier than air propane at the last Burning Man event (not a real burning man, just the event name). They probably would do better with the addition of glycerin and what else you use.

Currently getting the motor bike done a DIY’er type that has a 44:1 reduction ratio that will probably be able to compete with speed of your craft plans, just that the lake I will be using it on is many thousands of years old dried up lake bed. The plan is to have an art cover with it to resemble a Female California Sheepshead Fish.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=390148#post390148

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Interesting project Bert.
I'd rather use gas power, though...

buncha cheapo ice chests and duct tape should do the trick!

the engineering students at the university have a yearly contest using cardboard and packing tape, in the pool. It is fun!

Best
rc

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Berto,
Welcome to the forum! Very clever use of commonly found items. Looks like a lot of fun and I'm sure a lot of conversations get started when people see your amphibious bike.
SB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I've been thinking about a anfib bike, except that I will be using empty beer cans! I started drinking today, should have enough empties before the pond freezes. If not I'll start drinking earlier next year!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Loved it! Makes me want to go out and build something!

Now where did I put that parachute and poplar poles, rope and some time?

Especially the time. ;)

bertoaus

May 13, 2012
Maastricht NL
Thanks for your reactions. @Siverbear, I want, 127 years after the invention of the bike a discussion why you can't buy an amphibious bicycle in the shop and why this theme is a non-item in forums. I don't know why there is no interest in making a serious design of a fine on land and marvelous on water amphi bike. OK this is a motorbicycling forum but the challenge is the same. I hope a new cult of amphi-motorcyclists is born.
Using the waterways ..... and land. Please make soon an Amphi-Icon.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A few years ago there was a TV show called Next Step on the Discovery Channel.
They showed an amphibious bicycle that was designed by an Italian fellow. He had plans for mass producing it. If memory serves me right, it used the bicycle to power an air pump to inflate two pontoons. It also used a cable drive system to power a small outboard engine sized propeller to propel it through the water.
The whole system fit into a medium sized duffel bag. It took 15 minutes to install and remove, including the time to unpack it and stow it back into the duffel bag.

bertoaus

May 13, 2012
Maastricht NL
The whole system fit into a medium sized duffel bag. It took 15 minutes to install and remove, including the time to unpack it and stow it back into the duffel bag.
This is a DIY project to find ways to come to a solution of the install time dilemma. My amphi-cycle takes 7 minutes. This project shows already some progression; the simple en strong frame, where the bicycle is hanging in, the stabillity on the floaters. The aim is to come to zero set-up time; in one go from the land in the water and out again.
I hope that this project stimulates people to work that out.