New Indy Car design rocks

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I missed it and was looking forward to it. I was hoping the racing would get me to watch more races. Other then the Indy 500 I have not watched a Indy race in many,many years.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I had read they were to start using turbos again. The whole CART/IRL schizem was over the use of turbos. It now looks like the whole thing was over control of open wheel raceing's top level and nothing more.

I'm disgusted :p

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
It was a political and money structure battle and both lost out IMO, I'm a race car mechanic and haven't watched an Indycar race in years, I don't even bother to use the free tickets and watch when they're here at Infineon, maybe I will this year. Spec racing is like a high speed parade, it sucks that it's spec from the bottom all the way to the top for any driver advancement series, and the series with more diversity of cars don't get televised or sponsorship money, and nobody goes to the races. At the ALMS races big portions of the stands are empty. Blech, maybe I should consider getting a real job, racing is on rocky ground. :S

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
The electric midget needs some cards on the rims or something :p

Decent Indy design, should keep 'wheel locking/hopping' to a minimum too.

They're trying to keep it competitive, unlike the Pay-to-Win F1 teams, driver skill is more essential 16v.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I know, but looking at it from my perspective it makes running race cars just a matter of preparation and setup, and there isn't innovation anymore. I really enjoyed my time working with vintage race cars because you see the diversity of the cars and can recognize the genius that went into a lot of groundbreaking ideas, and it makes the weekends exciting as a mechanic.

It's good for the drivers because of the leveling of the playing field, but from an engineering perspective your world becomes drastically narrowed to alignment settings, shock settings, wing settings, in a way it makes life simpler but less interesting for an inquiring mind.

F1 is all about the technology, an awesomely talented driver could get on Arrows and be a back-marker indefinitely, formula cars don't respond well to hustle at all, you must drive them through the corners and are limited by the car greatly. The street courses are where you see real feats of skill, courage, and car control, unfortunately its a small percentage of the season.

In a way, spec racing can be just as expensive tough, because it takes tons of testing and simulation to squeeze the last drop of performance out of what you've got to work with, just look at the money spent by Nascar teams to optimize 1960's technology.

Call me nostalgic, I feel like we need new racing series based on alternative fuels which allow more innovation with lots of publicity to generate interest from a wider audience to spark a new renaissance in racing. ALMS has done this to an extent, and I wish it was more popular but as of late it has been narrowing down and fading out, I guess it's just the economic conditions right now.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The Indy cars are running engines made by Honda, Lotus and Chevy this year. They are 2.2 liter turbocharged v6's. I think the rear bumper and engine rivalry has put some of the fun back in watching Indy cars.
By the way, Houston is on the Indy car schedule again for 2013.