throttle loose

GoldenMotor.com

bangbang880

Mar 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey guys havent checked in a in a while, bike is starting great and running after months of sitting outside. under a cover but still... problem is, well, one of the problems is that my throttle is loose, meaning slipping off of my handlebar. (i had someone elese build my bike.) he did a great job but i dont know how it was atteched in order to fix it myself. anyway i see where the hole is drilled in the handle bar. and read something about a pin??? i cant find where to read how to resecure it back onto the bar. it still works, just twists around and isnt the best way to ride, knowing it could slip off at any moment. any tips would be great!!
thanks
bangbang

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Half the clam shell has or had a pin that lined up and fit in that 5mm hole. You can use a screw in place of that pin. Pin most likely in the handlebars.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
On my Dax kit, the pin was in the upper half of the clam shell. My plastic pin broke in the first 30 feet of riding. So I used the place where the pin broke off, you can still see the "scar" hopefully and drilled through that and put in a screw from the outside, into the existing hole.
Fix it soon, in a tough handling situation, the handle bar will come off the bar, probably causing you to wreck.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Hey guys havent checked in a in a while, bike is starting great and running after months of sitting outside. under a cover but still... problem is, well, one of the problems is that my throttle is loose, meaning slipping off of my handlebar. (i had someone elese build my bike.) he did a great job but i dont know how it was atteched in order to fix it myself. anyway i see where the hole is drilled in the handle bar. and read something about a pin??? i cant find where to read how to resecure it back onto the bar. it still works, just twists around and isnt the best way to ride, knowing it could slip off at any moment. any tips would be great!!
thanks
bangbang
The throttle on most of these kits is cheap plastic. There is a plastic "pin" on one half that goes in that hole to keep the throttle from rotating, this pin sheers off pretty easy so it might be gone already on yours.
There are two screws that hold the two halves of the throttle together, the nuts on the bottom half can fall out when you loosen them so take care not to lose them. I would suggest you try some rubber around your bars under the throttle, then tighten, a strip of an old inner tube works well. A better solution would be to just buy a better throttle, a real METAL throttle would be an improvement. They are easy to find, ebay or any place that sells motorcycle or minibike parts sells them, they don't really cost much.
My original throttle liked to slip like yours, and it also became worn inside and would slip internally leaving even more play in the throttle, so I replaced it with an all metal throttle and never looked back, never had another problem. I was also happy to have my choice in grips again, instead of that hard plastic thing that comes on the factory throttle....

bangbang880

Mar 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks so much guys..makes much more scence now. Dax, did you drill through the plastic?? Guess you would have to? Alright well I'm going to take another look at it and try to figure out what I feel comfortable doing/trying.
Also have a gas leak..I am going to replace the gas line and hope that fixs things. Looks like it might be leaking from where it contects to the bottom nipple. Or whatever you call the part where the hose slips over the metal thing. I hope its an easy fix.
Thanks so much for your responses!