First ride, need help...

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I just took my first ride, all in all I think it went pretty well, but I definitely need some help to get it right.
I have a Grubee SkyHawk 2010 66cc kit w/ 20:1 gas mix for break in.
I tried to fire the engine by taking some short jaunts and pulling in the clutch, got a few pops but wasn't able to get it going. I got out on the road with some speed and popped the clutch and she sprung to life and seemed to run pretty good for her first gasps! I immediately pulled the clutch and she died. Did this a few times, finally got her to keep running with the clutch pulled by revving the throttle, if I let off the throttle she dies. When I pull the choke cable the engine seemed to run faster/better, but still wouldn't idle. I am guessing I need to do some carb adjustment but I wanted to ask for advise first...
I also suspect something is not right with my clutch. It is extremely hard to pull in, if I adjust the clutch cable as recommended (slight play before it engages) the engine never dis-engages. I am unable to dis-engage the engine by pushing on the clutch lever with my hands (which are pretty strong), the only way I was able to get the engine to dis-engage was by putting some pressure on the clutch with a vise grip and clamp down the cable with that tension. After that when I pull the clutch the engine does disengage, but there is still some drag on the wheel. When I dis-engage the engine and pedal I can hear spinning/rubbing in the engine.
I am wondering if there is something wrong with my clutch on this new engine? Something that can be fixed or is it gonna have to go back? I know there must be something wrong, cause you'd have to be Hercules to pull this clutch, most people wouldn't be able to do it. Also, I think the clutch cable should be slightly slack when the engine is engaged, no way I could do that and still dis-engage the engine the way it is.....
HELP!!! LOL
Thanks in advance for your advise

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The clutch lever they give you is a piece of crap. Spend $10 and get a linear pull model. If you didn't already lube the clutch cable before you installed it, do it now.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The clutch lever they give you is a piece of crap. Spend $10 and get a linear pull model. If you didn't already lube the clutch cable before you installed it, do it now.
I hear that! Where would I be able to buy this linear pull clutch lever?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Any bike store or the internet.

It's just a standard lever, but it has a swivel attached to the lever between the cable and the lever to reduce friction.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Keep your eye out for a brake lever that has a longer finger handle to it ''=more ease of leverage'' that alone will help a lot.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I happened to buy two identical kits, the second is going to someone else. Since they don't have their bike ready I decided to open on the other kit and compare the clutch. WOW. The clutch on this other engine works like a dream, I can operate it easily with my hand and I can feel the proper engage/disengage action happening.
So I guess that confirms I have an issue with the clutch on this engine. Funny thing, as soon as I opened the first kit and felt the clutch I gave the retailer a call, couldn't get a real person and was instructed to leave a message. I said basically, "This clutch don't feel right, can't engage by hand, please help". I got no call back.
I think I am gonna swap engines, as much of a pain in the ass as that may be, and call them on Monday and tell them I definitely have a clutch problem on one kit. Not sure what they will do for me, shipping alone will be a bit costly to replace it. Guess its a wait and see for now.
I'm kinda bummed cause I had built the damn bike once and wanted to ride!