My motorcycle license road test for california

GoldenMotor.com

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
Hey I'm going to start saving up for a Laser 5 moped. It meets the definition of a moped or "motor driven cycle" in California. So I am asking any experienced bikers for advice on obtaining my M1 motorcycle license. I plan on taking my permit written test and then after 6 months of practice I plan on taking my motorcycle road test. So the features of this bike are: It has a 49cc 4 stroke engine, meets all California CARB requirements, has pedals, turn signals, running lights, and a three speed gear shift(which is mounted above the engine compartment not on the handle bars). So I am asking can I take a moped like this on my roadtest?http://motorbicycling.com/members/tmoney-albums-just-stuff-picture1657-laser-5.jpg

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey I'm going to start saving up for a Laser 5 moped. It meets the definition of a moped or "motor driven cycle" in California. So I am asking any experienced bikers for advice on obtaining my M1 motorcycle license. I plan on taking my permit written test and then after 6 months of practice I plan on taking my motorcycle road test. So the features of this bike are: It has a 49cc 4 stroke engine, meets all California CARB requirements, has pedals, turn signals, running lights, and a three speed gear shift(which is mounted above the engine compartment not on the handle bars). So I am asking can I take a moped like this on my roadtest?
If you get the $19 license plate and INSURANCE you can take the test on it.

I have heard but not verified if you take the test on an under 300 cc bike that is as big as you can ride.
How much do they cost?

Motorized bikes are much cooler, step through mopeds are a little dorky...LOL

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I haven't had to retake the driving test for my M1 in 27 years; but the last time I did there was no 'road test'.
In the DMV parking lot, they line up 5 or 6 orange cones on the ground & also have two lines painted in a big circle at the end of them.
You must idle your bike in & out of the cones & then ride inside the circles & then back through the cones without touching the cones or the lines, or puting your feet down on the ground.

It's a simple slow speed skill test.

As far as "can you take the M1 test on a moped?"... IDK?, you'll have to check with the DMV.

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
thanks for the info Bimoped I am still going to keep my motorized bike and get a moped to see if I can get my M1 motorcycle license. I plan on using my laser 5 as my primary mode of transportation until I can get a real motorcycle or maybe a can am spider roadster when I get the money. How much is a good deal on moped insurance for the skill test anyway?