bad economy for bikers

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Most of you know I build with junk from the thrift store. My bikes are all Frankenstein types. A little from this and a little from that.

So here is what's going on now in this economy. I know they blame everything on George Bush and I don't care whose fault it is, but in the last two years the number of bikes at the thrift store has fallen dramatically. I have seen over twenty bikes on the porch there at times a couple of years ago. Yes it was in the winter when people weren't thinking about bikes much. But the last two winters the number fell to less than ten. Now it is down to three full size bikes, one 20" two 16" and two 12".

I bought full size, fair condition, bikes there two years ago on sale for about ten bucks now that same bike is forty bucks and never makes it to sale day. I bought a 12" bike to make a trailer last winter for 2 bucks this year its 6.

The availability of used bikes is way down and the price is way up. Craigs list used to have lots of bikes under fifty bucks now almost all are over a hundred. Inflation and demand for used bikes is way up, is all I can figure.

I am seeing a lot of people on bikes these days. Pedal of course, but there are still a lot of them. Older people and other low income types, as you would expect, seem to be the users mostly. When I ride the bike trail with my ebike for exercise, I do see a fair number of high end bikes roll past me.

Just thought I would make the comment to see if anyone else has noticed our slide to third world country status. Okay that's a little too dramatic, but bikes are an indication. Just look at the streets of major cities in other parts of the world. Bikes and scooters are in heavy use there.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I myself build with used bikes also. I've picked up a few FREE bikes on freecycle.con. Others I've picked up from Alabama Thrift Store...much like Goodwill. (they don't have a Goodwill within 30 miles of here) The most I've paid, or should say my son paid was $50,00 for nice chopper. Oh I built a new bike (Cruiser) from China Mart, but a friend bought it and we built.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/North Carolina

Last edited:

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Things have changed with the economy, people aren't replacing their stuff like they used to. Still there are bargains available. My son in law works for me and is an avid Thrift Store stalker, when I wanted a 20" bike for my granddaughter, I put him on the hunt. The next morning he comes in with a pink 20" Huffy, in virtually new condition for $10. He's darn good.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Coastal N. Carolina is a bicycle "void" as far as Craigslist is concerned. The only bikes I ever see are either Walmart specials for $50 or high end road bikes for $500. I was in N. Ohio a few weeks ago and they get more bicycle listings in a single day than we do all year. Prices at Goodwill, 2nd hand shops and garage sales are almost always high here. Guess that's the price we pay for not living up North, eh? Come January, it all evens out! ;)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I mostly build with dump finds. Since scrap metal has been selling so high I havent seen a single bike.
Last cruiser I picked up was on a truck while I'm leaving the land fill. Turned around and got it. He had a number of bikes on his truck, none of which were engine capable for me. I live 7 miles from the land fill and can see people going down the road. I wouldn't hesitate asking him when he got to the land fill. Scrap metal prices has no effect on the homeowner cleaning his yard or garage. Heck I picked up 2 on a trash pile in front of a house. See one in a yard that hasn't moved in awhile...go ask about it. The answer is always NO in less you ask.

DEACON... Not knowing where you are in NC..just checked two cities there.
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/bik/2400920486.html
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/wan/2393686727.html

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
There are still deals to find and occasional trashes- but I've been watching bikes and parts on Craigs and on e-bay for several years-

and yes, the bottom has sorta fallen out- new bikes have become too exotic- and the stuff at Wal-mart is off-road recreational and not for the renwal of a bicycle asa legitimate piece of transportation-

so the older stuff is way up in demand and prices have risen wiuth the price of gas-

after a life around bikes, I'm more convinced than ever that prices and policies have always largely been under an automotive/big oil moon of scuttling-

and as ever driven by marketing concerns to continually sell new and different product-

the consumer is the last concern of too many.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought a ten speed from the thrift store last week for 12.50 .. It was on sale and was 24" and the color of old time bubble gum. It has some rust but over all it seems fine. Not often you see them around these days. I miss the days when there were twenty or so bikes on that pipe hand rail. which they use for a bike rack. now if there are ten it is a lot.

The funny thing was that I was trying it out as a bike, after I pumped it up and cleaned up some of the things on it, when some woman in a car stopped me and asked if I wanted to sell it. She couldn't find a used bike for her grand daughter either. You know your grand kids come for a couple of hours one a week or so. I can't see dropping a hundred bucks on a bike the might ride two hundred hours before they demand a car. Obviously she couldn't either.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Never realized how lucky we are to have a bicycle graveyard here... The guy who runs it has been at it for awhile and his dad lett him take over there back lot. I always find great stuff nobody else wants, last good score was a 1909 "kosmo"?? Springer front fork .
I'll have to remember to ask him if i can post his info on forum.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Same as Deacon, our local GoodWill store used to always have fifteen to twenty bikes out front. The prices started to climb first then their inventory went down to two or three trashed mountain bikes a month. The last time I stopped in they had two bikes stashed in the back of the store; one a little girl's 20" and the other a rusted mountain bike with no seat. $5.00 for the MTB so you can imagine what shape it was in.

I asked the store manager what happened and he said they make more money on bikes as scrap metal than selling them. Scap metal is big business today and responsible for a lot of changes we see.
Tom