Water in my engine (possibly).

GoldenMotor.com

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Hi all,

Around my area there has been A LOT of rain and hail in the past 24 hours, and when I discovered it wasn't raining this morning, I decided I would go for a ride. But first of all, I will say that I had put an old (petrolly -a new word) rag over the engine because the rain was somewhat horizontal and so I didn't want my engine to be absolutely dripping in water -not that that matters. But anyway, when I went to go for a ride this morning, I took off the rag and discovered that the carby was dripping wet with water. My question is: Is it safe for me to try and start the engine? or will I have to take off the carby and pull it apart and allow it to dry (which I don't fancy doing)?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try it. What do you have to loose? The most common place for water to really mess with you will be the magneto. If the cover is tight and the gasket is in place you should be good to go. You will not damage anything by trying to start the engine. Go for it.
Tom

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Well first of all, I tried starting it up and it's still going fine. But secondly, I noticed that the place where the bike was parked overnight was smelling of petrol. So I opened up the tank, and sure enough, half the petrol had disappeared! I did leave the fuel tap on overnight accidentally, but I've done that before and never had any problems. But that leaves one question unanswered: How was all the liquid (whether it be petrol or water or both) getting out of the carby? My carby is one of the standard ones. I noticed that the top of the primer button was covered in bubbles of something, and after I wiped it off, those bubbles started forming again after just a few minutes. Well, while typing this, I think I've worked out what's happening.

First: The Disappearing Petrol. The day before this all happened, I had filled my tank up all the way (but not overflowing lol). I also forgot to turn the petrol off. I find this a bit unlikely, but it seems the only explanation I can think of, but I think that the increase in the amount of petrol in the tank caused I higher pressure in the fuel line, and because of this, the petrol will escape wherever it can: Namely, the small space between the primer button and the hole it sits in -hence the bubbles.

Second: Where did the Petrol Go? Well, the answer to that is quite easy. The bike had a bit of petrol around where it would have been leaking, but not much. And my bike was sitting over concrete. So, the petrol would have dripped on to the concrete, and evaporated in the sun -hence the smell of petrol around where the bike was... but shouldn't there be an oil stain on the concrete?

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Gasoline evaporates very quickly, and concrete is also fairly porous. Also, if the carb tilts towards the engine, the fuel will drain into the engine, too.
My first thought was that the petrol would have gone into the cylinder, but like i said earlier, the engine started straight away. I'm simply amazed at how much fuel made it's way out of the tank -it was about 3/4 worth!

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i have this problem once in a while but for me its usually worse cause the fuel doesnt evaporate very fast in my garage and the fumes ciculate throughout the house

for me the most common problem would be the needle valve not sealing either from debris or the float sticking

i dont exactly have a petcock i just have a barb so i cant shut off the fuel

i havent had to replace any parts of my carb rather i have had to strip some off to keep it from giving me problems

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the float valve is seating properly you shouldn't have a problem even with the petcock left open. A float level that is too low can also allow fuel to flow if the carburetor is not level. Check the float valve for dirt that is not allowing the needle to seat and you can bend the tabs down very slightly on the float valve that the float pushes up on to shut off the fuel at a lower point in the bowl. Another thing that can cause unwanted fuel flow is an overpressurized fuel tank caused by heat (sitting in direct sunlight) and an improperly functioning vent.
Tom

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
ok well i have takin apart my carb many times now and i most of the time when it is leaking all i do is take it apart inspect everything and find its all in order then put it back together and it works for some reason without having to do much so i was thinking it may be caused from water freezing or maybe the xtra fuel bottle i use is a soda bottle rinsed out several times with gas maybe some sugar was still in the bottle

either way the majority of the time everything is fine and i put the carb back together and it works good fine even though it was laking before

im gonna start putting heat in the fuel every time i fill the tank to rule out condensation