this sucks

GoldenMotor.com

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
Ok heres my problem now my spark plug boot broke on me and i got one from a car not sure if its workin tho is there a way to test your Ignition with it off the bike to see if thats broken or i just need a new boot

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
Yes, hook up everything except the boot to the plug. I use a coil without a boot on it for this test. If you have a boot insert a nail or screw of the length to reach the electrical connection inside the boot. Then, holding the nail or screw crank the engine in the usual manner. If you feel the spark you are good here. If you only feel a slight tingle, the spark is weak. It's not going to hurt the miliamps are very low.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you want to know if the boot you got from the car is working, just attach it and then put the plug in and test it as you normally would.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Were you well grounded? You mentioned testing it "off the bike", there is no way to test the ignition system without it being all hooked up on the bike.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It has to be all on the bike as if you were ready to run it. THEN put the nail in there and have someone spin the back wheel while you hold the nail, and the bike at the same time.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I have heard of the boots breaking on other threads,,Is there a resister built into them like old VW's

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The resister thingy is for radio noise suppression it kills spark on our little china's. A stock china wire does not came with any resister in or to it. Truth About Ignition Wire Conductors.

I have always known old VW's to be a true wire core. You can go to a parts store and ask for a VW wire and it will work great. Sick Bike parts offers a good wire as well.

On another note old VW's used a capacitor just like the one used for the breaker points on the back of the stock radios. For the sole purpose of filtering the nasty RFI (radio frequency interference) out of the speakers on the radio. That's those gnarly engine noises you'll here from the speakers.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
One must always take "the truth" as presented by a manufacturer of a "superior" product with a grain of salt (such as the link provided)... While it's true resistor plugs/caps/wires provide suppression of radio frequency interference by regulating current, "reducing spark" may be stretching the facts a bit - think of it more as regulating spark discharge and "resisting" RFI.

I've personally tried the NGK BR6HS as well as (Yamaha) resistor caps - both successfully (three different HT engines too BTW) and w/no perceivable effect on ignition, ya just can't use both at the same time lol

The NGK BR6HS is just the ticket for those w/the lil digital bicycle speedometers BTW... the Yammie cap works too, it's just big, gommy and orange lol

edit: I'm pretty sure the "R" in the wildly popular new NGK BPR6HIX Iridium Spark Plug stands for a resistor plug as well & I've heard no complaints, heck I'm runnin' one mesef these days :D

Last edited:

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
well i sent away for a whole new thing see when it comes in if that is the problem also sent away for a upgraded wire and boot