chain

GoldenMotor.com

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I took a piece of the kit chain to the tractor dealer to get a small sprocket to use on a idler.The spocket would not fit the kit chain.Will #41 chain fit my motor and Jims sprocket.Harleys Dad

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
I have converted all my bikes to 41 chain. Much better chains. And since the 41 is a bit wider than the 415, it seems to be a bit more forgiving of imperfect sprocket alignment.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
#41 chain will ride perfectly on the engine and rear wheel sprocket. A good quality #41 is far superior to the kit supplied #415 in terms of durability and smooth running. Replace the #415 with #41 and enjoy it.
Tom

Rogwillsie

Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
Maybe I should change chains, but right now I would like to align the engine sprocket with the rear wheel sprocket so the dang chain will stay on. I'm going without an idler, as I do on my other bike. I didn't have this problem on my first bike, the chain stays on fine. On the present bike the chain comes off the bottom of the rear wheel sprocket, to the inside. I've moved the wheel around, changed the angle of the engine, all without success. Now I'm wondering about trying to put an unequal number of washers in the rear motor mount. What do you guys think? I need help.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Mount your engine square and tight.

Remove the chain.
Attach a piece of wire to the rear stay to use as a pointer almost touching the rear sprocket teeth.
About 1/8 away to start.
Spin the rear wheel.
Does the space between the wire pointer and the sprocket stay the same .
Both in and out as seen from the wheel nut.
Both up and down as seen from the top.

Make sure your rear sprocket is true first.
Then reattach the chain and check for alignment from driven sprocket to drive sprocket.
Look down the chain in bright sunlight to see if the sprockets are aligned. not crooked.
A new chain is always nice.
Any 40, 41 or even a 420 chain will work.

Sometimes the sprockets need to be filed down a little .