Staton 17mm axle and 17mm bearings help !

GoldenMotor.com

crunchman

Oct 14, 2014
ARIZONA
The BB cups on my staton crank shaft kit has a the above parts, in attempting to slide the axle through the bearings it seems they will not fit through.How much persuasion should be necessary ?? They immediately bind.I have not tried any tapping as I do not want to damage anything.Any help appreciated....Thanks

:-||

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
crunchman

Welcome to the forum. Sorry , can`t help you with you question. But have been wondering how to find Stanton web site, could not even remember his name. Thanks !

He has some clever sprockets and adapters for jackshafts. It seems that most members are not aware of them.

What are you building?

Staton did have an add in the left hand column for a long time, sorry to see him go.

Ron

crunchman

Oct 14, 2014
ARIZONA
NT, I have been around a while, keep forgetting passwords etc, lol.I am trying tp install a staton crank shift kit w/ Honda gx35.Cannot understand why the axle will not clear the bearings, makes no sense.His customer service is not the greatest.I have nothing but problems so far with this kit.The first set of bearing cups that were manufactured by him stripped out the BB of the bike, I then requested he send me a set of the Odyssey euro cups that he stocks and they went right in the bike, a newbike I had to purchase, they worked great.It has been posted before that he does not cut the threads on his cups properly but I thought he fixed the problem, apparently not, he really needs to.Anyway, hopefully someone can shed some light on this axle/bearing issue.I am not sure if the bearing should be able clear the whole length of the axle or if they need to be tapped onto the end of the axle, the latter does not sound right.....Thanks.

crunchman

Oct 14, 2014
ARIZONA
I found out through internet searching that in the case of these tight fit bearings that you need to heat the bearing in a toaster oven at 225-degrees for 30 minutes, also place the shaft in dry ice at the same time (remember to use gloves). At this point the bearings should slide on to the shaft....WHO KNEW ??