please help

GoldenMotor.com

GothTech

Apr 16, 2010
ga
ok first my problem is my motor has been acting up when i come to a fullstop it idles really high and has been doing it for some time now and one more thing is that it seems to be jerking a lot to when i get up to speed and the idling thing is iv check the fuel mix and its fine if i start out but it driving me crazy please help me :-||

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If it used to idle ok, but now is way too high and you didn't change anything, odds are you've developed a vacuum leak - it's common. Check all gasket seams for oily deposits (head, intake & base gaskets are the usual suspects) & check to see if the intake manifold & carburetor are secure.

If it's any consolation my build just developed a mild base gasket leak, torquing the head bolts back down to about 10ftlbs fixed that right up ;) Be careful though - the fasteners on these things are so easy to strip out.

The "jerking" might be a snarky chain - I'd check sprockets & tensioner alignment...

Last edited:

GothTech

Apr 16, 2010
ga
its been blowing really bad on oil its leaking arround the heads will that gasget maker work?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"Blowing oil"? Defo a vacuum leak & an easy fix (^)

I'd really recommend just torquing the headbolts to 10-12 foot pounds, they tend to not be tight enough from the factory and/or loosen up during break-in at least.

If you've blown a gasket it's no big deal, many of the vendors sell replacements cheap and it's an easy fix :)

GothTech

Apr 16, 2010
ga
ok i just ordered some today is it ok to still keep ridding it or should i just stay put:-||

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
To continue riding it could do damage. If the leak gets large enough, the combustion gasses leaking past will damage the cylinder or cylinder head gasket surface, whichever side the gasket is leaking from. At best it will look like pitting on the surface, at worst it could burn a little trench into the aluminum.

GothTech

Apr 16, 2010
ga
i just redid the head gasket and that was not the problem still jerking the only thing i can think of its got tobe the clutch needs some adjustment.bf.