fix a flat vs solid tubes

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
if using the tuffy liner for your motorized bicycle take the ends round the corners with a sharp set of scissors. the corners are sharp and they will wear a hole in your tube after time,

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
sigh,the price i pay for such a wide wheel. maybe with fat bikes catching on,i can mod one of those tire liners if they exists?
Tire liners are the easiest to use but it is premises of putting anything hard to penetrate between your tube and tire tread and all kinds of things can be used.

For example a 'rung' of a vertical or horizontal blind.
Light flexible metal with an inherent small edge curve your can affix to the inside of tire before mount it over the tube on the rim.

Thorns are the biggest issue here in the desert southwest.
Needle sharp but not very long so it doesn't take much material to stop them.
Be creative the next time you have your fat tire off, most anything you can put to make your tire 'thicker' before something gets through to the tube can help.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
ive been running slime in my fat rear OCC schwinn stingray 20 x 4 1/4 since 09', its been the only solution for such a rare tire. no kevlar or torn resistant tube available in this size and im worried about trying to stuff two tuffy's liners in the there side by side. maybe it would pinch cut the tube?

anyways, slime has taken the abuse from fishing hooks ive had to pull out,broken glass,etc. for me for along time.
well,some how my tube got a bigger hole in it than normal,and because the bigger the tire the more slime i used,it blew out all inside of that rim,oh man, it was terrible to clean all that crap up. I dont want to use slime again because of it,but now im nervous to ride long distances because of no tire protection at all.

sigh,the price i pay for such a wide wheel. maybe with fat bikes catching on,i can mod one of those tire liners if they exists?
Slime washes off easily with plain ol' water. Anyway, there are 2 things you can do for a tire liner in your case:

1) Take an old 20x4.25 tube, cut the valve stem off, cut the tube lengthwise to fit over your current tube. Basically doubling the tube up.

2) Take an old 20x4.25 tire, cut the bead off both sides, slip the modified tire inside your existing tire. Basically doubling the tire up.

Either way should help. The tire method will be significantly heavier and ride rougher, but it does work.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While slime is easy to clean off superficially, it will interfere with patching no matter what you use to clean it off the tube. Personally I hate the stuff for that very fact. No matter how good it works on MOST punctures, when you finally get one it WON'T fix, you're stuck.
You might be able to find a strip of kevlar to line the tire with...or two normal liners.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
There is another product like slime that Briggs@Straighten has and it is friggan awsome as well! Have not tried it butt would have no qualms about it.

Unless its a hole shot to the rim. You need a new tube anyway In my experiance a tube is just junk to me at that point..I do hate patches. I have not applied a patch kit to anything in over 30 years and have absolutly no plans to. I do respect what they can represent. Mebbe thats why too lol.

If you are using one of those thin as heck party balloon type tubes. Well I would hope nobody here thinks those accually work? A tube too small for a givin tire will be thin thin thin when it airs up.

As for preslimed tubes those will be patchable in some cases. There is so little product in those it is comical. My secrete I use a lot more! Think side wall protection.

The best bar none trick I ever did was a leather thick tube gutted as a liner for none other than a leather thick tube and slime of coarse. The effect of all that rubber was the sticker turned sideways like a splinter in my hand does somtimes. Or simply left a harmless little knot so to speak.

Most cases never even got through the liner. Got respect for a good thick tube for sure. I dare say that is why slimes works flawlessly for me. ''The Rubber'' That hunk of mass/matter for a coagulant to play with works absulutly perfect. This is the secret of my success.

Think back to that party balloon...

Still as a liner it effected ride quality for me as I like the feel of the road from just a tube and ''no liner what so ever ''Commando Style'' Wait Wut?? lol

Yes truly..

Have gave thought to using liners as I know folks have really good luck with them but shoot I don't need them. Had stickers stuck to the side walls. Trumps a liner every time. Never could get past the ride quality for me as the natural squash that holds onto and feels the road was too stiff I thought..

Life is good I am not changing nothing. Can't fix what is not broke. I pull out stickers from my tires constanly. Funny thing..I am still riding. I can get 10,000 miles from a tube before I fear it. Just ask me how I do it?

Just air the tire a little once a great while and ride man that is all. Ride Ride ''keep the rubber side down'' But most of all just ridednut

Say did anybody hear the one where some poor soul got that greasy chain all over them casually patching a tube and wore that black crap on thir hands for a week? That one just kills me lol.

Nobody ever talks about that'un?

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have not tried this personally as I use MrTuffy liners, but a good friend of mine years ago swore by using fire hose he custom cut to fit as a tire liner.
Thinking back, he never ever got a flat either.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I dare say that soap Idea is a astute observation. I get it. Yet if you live in a desert inviroment such as mine and wash your hands often as I usually have to. In the winter months especially, grease stains on ones hands can be brutal. Soap aint it. Dry skin loves to hold on to that beautiful chain pigment.

On a motorised bike it can be even more grease lol. That is two chains and a bike that cannot be parked upside down. Could be fun.. Work on them at home and not the road side will always be my motto!!

Thank goodness for latex gloves!!!

Attachments

Last edited: